• Register
  • Help

Topic: Audio Breakup problems

Share/Bookmark

Audio Breakup problems

Help!
    I am having trouble trying to get smooth playback from gigastudio 96. Once the polyphony gets to about 64 - 70 voices, the playback becomes very choppy - it seems to pick and choose which orchestral lines to play when! Is this supposed to happen or do I just put too many demands on my system? It\'s impossible to get a decent playback much of the time. Even when I am only using a piano this can becomes a problem, loads of crackles and pops. Is there anything I can do other than get GS160 (not a practicle option due to budget constraints!!) [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Thanks
    Lloyd

Re: Audio Breakup problems

Hi,
    Purchasing GS 160 will not solve your problems.
    It will give you a potential of reaching 160 voices but since you are not able to achieve 96, there is no point to that - unless you first either upgrade your system or optimize what you have.

What kind of processor are you using, how much RAM do you have, what other programs are running at the same time? What are your buffer and latency settings?

Have you followed Tascam\'s guidlines for optimizing your computer? These and possibly other questions need to be answered before anyone can help you with this.

Jim

I have a 1.7GHz processor, 256MG RAM and the maximum buffer settings. Unfortunately I can\'t have a dedicated PC for Gigastudio, but I shut down all programs which are not needed before runnung GS. I have read the tips for optimizing a PC for GS use and have done all I can with them.

Hi Again,

Assuming you have a GS approved soundcard (what is it btw?), are you up-to-date on the sound card\'s drivers?

Also, are you using the most recent version of GS for which ever OS you are using? Are you using XP?

I know saying this will certainly not make you feel any better but there are an untold number of GS users who have had just these kinds of problems only to find that sometimes hours would drag into days (and weeks)before solutions were found. I have been very angered by Tascam not being forthcoming on all the little details that must be sorted out to get some systems to work in a friendly way with GS.

I know how frustrating this is for you having been through it myself.
    Jim

Hi
    Soundcard is Creative labs SB5.1, I am using Win ME, and I think I do have the lastest version of GS - will have to check when I get home!
    I know what Tascam are like with this: I recently had to reformat my HD as a result of a persistent error!
    Thanks for all your help!
    Lloyd

Go Back to forum