• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Points for composers

Share/Bookmark

Points for composers

I know points of gross for freelancers is very unique. But what would be a fair deal if one could get points? What do inhouse composers normally get?

Re: Points for composers

Hi Marcussen, Im not sure that inhouse guys get anything except a straight wage. Unless the company has some sort of reward scheme for their staff.

Here's something I pop in for every contract;

$10,000 bonus for first 100,000 copies sold
    $25,000 bonus for first 250,000 copies sold

$10,000 bonus per 100,000 copies sold thereafter

$10,000 bonus for each platform or SKU the game is ported to*

*Fee includes any neccessary conversions required for different platforms.

Haven't actually had anyone agree to it yet.
    ---------------------------
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com
    ---------------------------

Wink Re: Points for composers

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Cairns
    Hi Marcussen, Im not sure that inhouse guys get anything except a straight wage. Unless the company has some sort of reward scheme for their staff.

Here's something I pop in for every contract;

i can only say "WOW".... i can't even imagine such pay for a music here in Poland in fact the developer i work for always put the music on the last place but i'll show him one day when someone from the big game industry will let me do music for him... i know i need to stop dreamin'

Exclamation Re: Points for composers

It surprises me in a "as I expected" way when people (composers and clients) look at pretty normal PFM rates and bonuses and think they are high. It's probably why in game business, there is still a hobbyist sort of mentality, like composers just sling stuff together in their spare time, when in reality it is just as work intensive as software engineering (I know). The point is, if composing is done for a living, then one has to charge a living wage. Is making 68$ K a year a living? If so, how does that break down for a composer? The Fat Man did break it down at his great site, so look here:
    http://www.fatman.com/compose.htm
    Go towards the bottom to A comparison of in-house vs. contract music cost:. It is one of the better examples of a living wage cost breakdown that I have seen. Check out what the PFM rate is. Keep this page in mind when you are thinking of costs and charges (etc.).
    Doyle W. Donehoo, Composer
    Radar Music
    www.doylewdonehoo.com

I liked it. Pretty cool comparison. Personally I have never been particularly fond of the Fatman's work and like many others in the biz....(IMHO of course) he got where he is by being at the right place at the right time. But nonetheless, I do have to admire his business sensibility and I do agree that his rates are actually quite reasonable considering the amount of credits that he carries. Some might argue that $800 for 1 minute of fully orchestrated finished music is very cheap.

As far as points, Tommy T. always bring up the idea of asking for a bunch of stuff up front, then as they turn things down, you can counteroffer and eventually end up with a happy medium where everyone feels like they "won" the negotiations.

Lastly, about the bonuses per sales milestone, I find those figures to be also very reasonable. At $50 a pop, a game which sells 100,000 copies has just grossed $5 million! Giving a $10k bonus to the composer seems like good practice and comes down to less than .2%

One more thing, I do agree that the current state of the game industry is a mess due to the incredible rate of growth without an established pricing structure and history. Big changes are coming in the next few years, I believe we'll be seeing the unionization of a lot of the disciplines involved in the creation of games due to an embarrasing lack of guidelines for proper treatment of employees. The current system is risking a collapse under its own weight if things don't change quickly with some massive lawsuits in the works.
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

Quote Originally Posted by dwdonehoo
    It surprises me in a "as I expected" way when people (composers and clients) look at pretty normal PFM rates and bonuses and think they are high. It's probably why in game business, there is still a hobbyist sort of mentality, like composers just sling stuff together in their spare time, when in reality it is just as work intensive as software engineering (I know). The point is, if composing is done for a living, then one has to charge a living wage. Is making 68$ K a year a living? If so, how does that break down for a composer? The Fat Man did break it down at his great site, so look here:
    http://www.fatman.com/compose.htm
    Go towards the bottom to A comparison of in-house vs. contract music cost:. It is one of the better examples of a living wage cost breakdown that I have seen. Check out what the PFM rate is. Keep this page in mind when you are thinking of costs and charges (etc.).
    Hi,
    I don't want You to think that i'm surprised about the rates... i'm only surprised about those bonuses because here in Poland You're payed up front and for 100% You won't get anything more or You don't get paid for the music and only get royalties...
    My latest gig was fine for me i think... i got 225 USD for a minute of music which is I think great rate here in Poland... so i got 16% of the whole budget... of course the 70% of it went for the sample libraries but i said to me once: "If I want to compose and be paid for it then i won't steal sample libs (use it from hackers)".... 95% guys here in Poland are using 100% illegal soft. I have 100% legal... even Windows but it costs... so i understand that my rate is far from what should be but i live in Poland and they won't pay me 50% of the whole budget... Maybe some day i'll get a gig abroad that will give me the oportunity later to make real investments in libs/instruments/hardware etc.
    You can hear an excerpt of my work for mentioned game at my page: www.kulmusic.com (in Demos/Games) it's called "Project X"
    Just my two cents....

Well... luckily the company I work for (as a freelancer) pay their in house staff bonuses. I think its fairly common.

hehe exactly... Well. Cant blame a guy for trying

I don't want You to think that i'm surprised about the rates... i'm only surprised about those bonuses because here in Poland You're payed up front and for 100% You won't get anything more or You don't get paid for the music and only get royalties...
    Nah dont worry... getting bonuses is EXTREMELY rare for freelance composers. Thats why I personaly would have no idea what to expect should I get them.

The reason I asked is that my client is playing around with the idea of hiring me for a more "secure" position. So it looks like I might be going from freelance to some kind of hybrid freelance/inhouse posistion. That is doing music for them, but from home... a dream huh?

Thats why I just need the info regarding points so I have some kind of idea what to expect

Quote Originally Posted by midphase
    Personally I have never been particularly fond of the Fatman's work and like many others in the biz....(IMHO of course) he got where he is by being at the right place at the right time.
    You've obviously never met the man. He's incredibly sharp, in tune with the business, completely original, a hard worker, and one of the most positive people I know. While you can have your opinion about his music, making a blanket statement like that is just completely misinformed. And in this day of John Williams/Danny Elfman/whoever ripoffs (myself included), he ignores those trends and does his own thing. Very admirable in my book whether or not you like his sound.

Sorry to hijack the thread. As for what is "fair" for a freelancer. You ask for them and hope you get them. It's just another bullet in your negotiating arsenal. I'd be suprised if anyone but the larger publishers actually gave them to you, but you won't know if you don't ask.
    Chris Rickwood
    www.rickwoodmusic.com

The point is rather what to ask for.. I have no idea what would be alot, or little or fair

Quote Originally Posted by Marcussen
    The point is rather what to ask for.. I have no idea what would be alot, or little or fair
    Scott's rates are the standard "Tommy Tallarico" answer, but it all depends on the publisher and their budget. You should try to find out the publisher's budget and decide if your numbers will fit in there. You also should try to find if there is even a possibility of moving 100,000 units. Are they releasing world-wide? just in the U.S.? just in Europe? Is another publisher doing the international distribution. Then after you've done your research, you have to decide how much YOU are worth.

Also keep in mind that you can ask for a percentage of the net instead of a bonus. Then, if they shoot that down, ask for the $10K per 100,000 units. Then, if they shoot that down, ask for the $5K per 100,000 units. Then, if they shoot that down, shake hands and move on (if that is your threshold).

But as someone mentioned earlier, there isn't really a standard and it will vary with every deal. You have to know with whom you are negotiating.
    Chris Rickwood
    www.rickwoodmusic.com

Go Back to forum