• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: NEW! Kirk Hunter Concert Strings in Kontakt Format!! $399 Intro!

Share/Bookmark

NEW! Kirk Hunter Concert Strings in Kontakt Format!! $399 Intro!

KH CONCERT STRINGS IN KONTAKT FORMAT - $399 INTRO UNTIL JAN 23
    We're excited to announce that the 100GB+ Kirk Hunter Concert Strings Library in Kontakt format are shipping just after NAMM for an intro price of $399 that ends midnight January 23 EST (the day NAMM ends). No group buy needed at this price.

http://www.kirkhunter.com/libraries/strings.shtml

OVERVIEW
    The Kontakt version was programmed by Ashley Witt. For those who don't know Ashley, he programmed the Miroslav Vitous library for the E4, Disk 6 of Advanced Orchestra for the E4, has worked with Andy Brick, Danny Elfman, David Newman, Media Ventures and others in Los Angeles for both programming and electronic orchestration. He composed a score for a documentary that was nominated for an Academy Award. Ashley is one of those rare folks who also plays the majority of orchestral instruments. And last but not least, Ashley helped beta test the award winning Vienna Symphonic Library.

With these qualifications, Kirk gave Ashley a free hand to create what Ashley felt would be THE Concert Strings library in Kontakt. What Ashley has done with the Concert Strings in Kontakt is truly over the top.

As with the GS version, there are Close, Far and Distant, Muted and Open, plus a bonus set of solo strings for violin, viola, cello and bass. Let's look at the Far Mic'ed Violins as our model.

You get:

24 Violins Heavy Vibrato
    - Envelope Control (A = cc27, R = cc28)
    - Separate Layers

24 Violins Light Vibrato
    - Separate Layers

24 Violins No Vibrato
    - Separate Layers

24 Violins Short Notes
    - Separate Layers

24 Violins Sustained Combinations and FX
    - Separate Layers

1st Violins Heavy Vibrato
    - Separate Layers

1st Violins Light Vibrato
    - Separate Layers

1st Violins No Vibrato
    - Separate Layers

1st Violins Short Notes

- Separate Layers

1st Violins Sustained Combinations and FX
    - Separate Layers

2nd Violins Heavy Vibrato
    - Separate Layers

2nd Violins Light Vibrato
    - Separate Layers

2nd Violins No Vibrato

- Separate Layers

2nd Violins Short Notes
    - Separate Layers

2nd Violins Sustained Combinations and FX
    - Separate Layers

In each Envelope Control folder you get an EXTRA 27 programs that enables you to customize each patch by manually controlling the attack and release to your desire from right within the sequencer!

But that's not all! In the Separate Layers Folder you get 28 individual layer programs that lets you quickly create your own layers. And this pattern repeats for the violas, cellos and basses and Far Mic Mutes!

No other Kontakt library has this much customizable control for you.

THE FAR MIC COMBOS FOLDER

Here you have four folders - All Strings, Keyswitch Modules, Other and Staccato Round Robin with down bow and up bow combinations.

ALL STRINGS

Instead of getting just a few All Strings patches, you get a library's worth. There are two basic sizes - 27 Strings (chamber setup as full string orchestra across the keyboard) and 58 (full sections).

27Strings.nki - 14 individual string orchestra patches where basses through violins are crossfaded to flow into each other. Includes legato, medium and hard attacks, staccato down down, staccato up, pizz and two individual tremolos.

27Strings.nki w/envelope control - same as above but with the ability to customize attacks and releases using controllers 27 and 28.

27Strings.nkm - similar to the above but uses four (4) individual Concert String programs (1st Violins, Chamber Violas, Chamber Cellos and Chamber Basses) set to omni to give you one giant string orchestra spanned across the keyboard, or four individual sections that you set up by simply changing the MIDI channel.

The next three folders are 58Strings.nki, 58Strings.nki w/envelope control, and 58Strings.nkm. The 58 Strings are the full ensemble sections of 24 Violins, 16 Violas, 12 Cellos and 6 Basses.

KEYSWITCH MODULES
    We call this "Keyswitches on the fly." Inside this big folder are a series of folders starting on C0 (and C5 for the lower instruments) going up "chromatically" to B0 (and B5) that contain individiual folders for 12VCS, 16VAS, 1ST VBS, 24 VNS, 2ndVNS, 6VCS and 8VAS that enable you to create your own keyswitches in under 2 minutes.

The OTHER Folder contains a complete set of the Keyswitch Modules and three specialized patches created by Ashley.

STACC ROUND ROBIN DOWN_UP
    For each section, Full Ensemble and Chamber instruments, are down-up staccato "bowings".

TOTAL CONSISTENCY

There is simply NO OTHER Strings library available in the Kontakt format that's this size (100GB plus!), with this much control at the introductory price of $399 ($599 starting January 24th). Everything I've just outlined is repeated for Close and DIstant Mic'ed Strings. In all, a whopping 27,000+ patches (80MB on the patches alone!). And of course, Kirk Hunter's Concert Strings are recorded in their seated orchestral position.

ORDERING
    The $399 price for 16 disks is a 33% discount off list good through midnight EST January 23, 2005. Please order at this link:

http://www.kirkhunter.com/libraries/strings.shtml

US SHIPPING
    Shipped USPS Priority Mail, $9.95 including insurance and signature delivery.

INTERNATIONAL
    Including Canada, ALL international orders shipped FedEx International. For VAT, value is shown as the cost of the DVDs and duplication, $50US, not the cost including intellectual property. Each order is handled individually. You'll be e-mailed your shipping cost.

DON'T WAIT!
    The $399 price is only guaranteed through January 23rd. On January 24th, the price goes back to $599. And BTW - Look for the Kirk Hunter Concert Brass in GS format to ship in early February!
    Peter L. Alexander
    www.professionalorchestration.com
    www.alexanderpublishing.com
    Learn it right the first time.

Question Re: NEW! Kirk Hunter Concert Strings in Kontakt Format!! $399 Intro!

I just got the KHCS in Giga format - would there be a NAMM Sidegrade deal available for the Kontakt version,please?

Thanks!

Nigel

Re: NEW! Kirk Hunter Concert Strings in Kontakt Format!! $399 Intro!

I listened to the demo and didn't find anything to get excited about. The demo sounds kind of amaturish and not all that realistic, it definitely sounds like samples, not a real orchestra. Especially the dynamics, swells, etc. Maybe the library is a lot better than the demo would suggest, but if I was promoting a library, I wouldn't use this demo. Sorry for the critisizm but I'm telling it like I see it. I won't be pulling out my VISA card.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaatza Music
    I listened to the demo and didn't find anything to get excited about. The demo sounds kind of amaturish and not all that realistic, it definitely sounds like samples, not a real orchestra. Especially the dynamics, swells, etc. Maybe the library is a lot better than the demo would suggest, but if I was promoting a library, I wouldn't use this demo. Sorry for the critisizm but I'm telling it like I see it. I won't be pulling out my VISA card.
    A LOT of people felt this way when the demos on KH's site were published, and I would have to agree that the demos don't provide much reason to get excited. I however took a leap of faith based on Kirk's past accomplishments and other info that I gleaned -- dove in and purchased the library -- and now couldn't be happier that I did. The strings are rich, detailed, and very powerful. There are a vast number of expressive and useable articulations available, and lots of real time control via standard midi messaging (mod wheel, aftertouch, keyswitch, etc.)

IMO, if someone cannot get good sounding results with this string library, it is absolutely the fault of the programmer/composer, and not the library itself...

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel W
    I just got the KHCS in Giga format - would there be a NAMM Sidegrade deal available for the Kontakt version,please?

Thanks!

Nigel
    Crossgrade is $250.
    Peter L. Alexander

Quote Originally Posted by synergy543
    Are those "classical snippet" demos representative of this library?

I mean, is it the same one?

It seems odd as the description talks about close, distant, and far mics but the demos are all bone dry with various reverb box examples.

So whats up with that?
    It would be useful for you to read the press release and information on the web site explaining what we did and why. Briefly, the demos are done out of the box with no reverb, then the same music with different reverbs to demonstrate how various reverbs can affect the final sound.

More demos are forthcoming but our primary effort has been to get the new Kontakt version out before NAMM, which we've done. Two major string libraries since late July!
    Peter L. Alexander

Quote Originally Posted by Kaatza Music
    Let me reciprocate by telling you like it is. Every week on Monday night the NBC television network airs the new thriller "Medium" the theme of which, composed by Emmy winning composer Jeff Beal, was 99% done with Kirk's Concert Strings. And the producer picked Kirk's strings over the live string ensemble which had 12 players.

That's a win for the network, a win for the producer, a win for the composer, and a win for you just as as soon as you order!
    Peter L. Alexander

Well, if you have any good sounding results to post, I'd love to hear them.

So what's the deal with the three mic positions and the dry demos with artificial reverb?

What does the recorded ambiance sound like?
    Can't explain why they did the demos the way they did, as I agree that they don't show this library in its best light. The recorded ambiance acts much as you would expect for the three mic positions -- the 'close' mics are the driest sounding, and the 'distant' mics are the most ambient. I would characterize the ambience in the 'far' mic samples as being a few ticks less than what you might get in EWQLSO Gold, but you can definitely hear hall sound in these samples, and it is a good sounding hall. The actual difference in sound between the far mics and the distant mics can be a bit subtle, and is less than the difference between the close mics and far mics, if that makes sense.

Overall, with the large section sizes (for example, 24 violins) the included hall ambience, the zeal with which the performers played, and the recording technique seem to all add up to one of the most powerful sounding string libraries I've yet heard.

Quote Originally Posted by Existence
    Can't explain why they did the demos the way they did...
    As I have written previously, we did these because of customer requests to hear examples from the classics that could be compared to the score, and done dry "out of the box" along with what they sounded like with other reverb.
    Peter L. Alexander

The Solo Strings sound quite nice but are not on sale yet are they?
    http://www.kirkhunter.com/libraries/vstrings.shtml

They've been available for over a year.
    Peter L. Alexander

Go Back to forum