• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: A Jazz Piano Trio Piece

Share/Bookmark

A Jazz Piano Trio Piece

Last month, I met an old friend of mine after thirty years of absence. She looks fine and has unchanged since I met her thirty years ago. I recalled the old days as if they were only yesterday.

Here is the tune:

http://www.ismusic.ne.jp/yamamoto_ju...e_old_days.mp3

Piano and bass were performed by GPO. Drums is by Roland SC-88 Brush Set. The brush set only has brush sound on snare drums so that other toms are played by stick. Strange, but always compromise is necessary for the rest of us...

Sincerely,
    Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan
    http://jun.music.coocan.jp/
    MIDI AND SAMPLING TECHNOLOGY HAS OPENED AN ENTIRE NEW WORLD OF MUSIC!

Re: A Jazz Piano Trio Piece

Very nice! I like your music. It makes me recall my younger days playing bass in a jazz trio. Happy times!

Please post more when you can.

My best,

Larry A.

Smile Re: A Jazz Piano Trio Piece

Thank you, Larry. Yonger days looks shinning after #$ years later ;-)

Sure, I will upload my next one here if it uses GPO but maybe 7-8 months later as I am slow runner.

Sincerely,
    Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan

neoTypic, Thank you for the comment!
    Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan

Thumbs up Re: A Jazz Piano Trio Piece

Wow, excellent as always Yun!

Piano and bass were performed by GPO. Drums is by Roland SC-88 Brush Set. The brush set only has brush sound on snare drums so that other toms are played by stick. Strange, but always compromise is necessary for the rest of us...
    Actually, brushes are used on the toms. It all depends on how the toms are tuned and the sticking (in this case, the brush) technique that is used. Roland emulated a sort of "Blaststick" sound with an open tom tuning (meaning no muffling) for the Jazz Brush Set on their SC88 and 8850 sound modules.

Regardless, what a nice trio piece!
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Actually, brushes are used on the toms. It all depends on how the toms are tuned and the sticking (in this case, the brush) technique that is used. Roland emulated a sort of "Blaststick" sound with an open tom tuning (meaning no muffling) for the Jazz Brush Set on their SC88 and 8850 sound modules.
    Thank you Styxx for the explanation. I checked the manual again and found actually they are labeled as "Brush Tom". I have thought they are stick sounds.
    I am still amazed by SC-88 how well this machine is organized.

I was thinking to get some new drum samples/sampler but as far as I studied only "dfh superior" carries brush sounds but the software is a little too heavy for me both financial-wise and effort-to-tweak-wise. "Battery" also has brush sounds but it will come with a lot of sounds I would never use. Well, I will wait for some fit coming up.

Sincerely,
    Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan

Thumbs up Re: A Jazz Piano Trio Piece

I know what you are saying Yun. My hope is that the new Jazz Lib that Gary will present in the next century will give up better brush sounds on the set.
    However, being a drummer I usually record my own set with most of my productions. There are so many tricks and methods of playing brush techniques that I would be hard pressed to see them covered totally in any one Library. What most developers do is narrow it down to the most used and practical.
    Yes, I agree with the layout of the SC88. Have you ever tried the SC8850?
    Styxx

Styxx,

"GPO Jazz" is the one I most wish to have. In this tune, I used the cymbal in GPO percussions and it sounds really great.

Most problematic is "brush swirl". The sound depends on tempo of the tune, so that only one "swirl" cannot fit to most of tunes including this one. Rather I wish to have a continuous flat sound of "swirl" patch.

I did not try 8850. It should sound good enough as a successor of 88. But my MIDI friends usually assert that SC-88Pro is best sounding among the family products including 8850, especially heavy usage for any orchestral pieces.

By the way, for your information, my name is pronounced like "June" and a little shorter than "June" ;-)

Sincerely
    Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan

Most problematic is "brush swirl". The sound depends on tempo of the tune, so that only one "swirl" cannot fit to most of tunes including this one. Rather I wish to have a continuous flat sound of "swirl" patch.
    Yes indeed! That's why I always play in my own parts. Besides, drummers who really never learned the proper “two stroke swirl” of the jazz swing era have long obscured the old school original method of brush techniques. Hard to believe...
    Styxx

Jun,
    What a refreshing experience. It's a fine piece. And it's good to hear GPO used outside the orchestral realm. Now I'm reinspired to revisit some of my earlier jazz work and see what's possible with GPO...but I'll still rely on the trusty sax soundfont--you know which one-- since nothing comparable is forthcoming in GPO.

And anyone who hasn't visited Jun's site should pop over for a visit.
    Bill

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast