• Register
  • Help

Topic: Giga 3.0 - Worth It?

Share/Bookmark

GS3 - Worth It?

I'm a registed 2.5 160 Giga licensee. When GS3 first started shipping, I intended to upgrade, but was stopped short by what seemed to be an avalanche of problems experienced by early upgraders, many of which seemed to be bugs.

Now that the dust has settled at bit, what's the verdict? Is GS3 worth the upgrade?

Re: Giga 3.0 - Worth It?

I think so ... more sounds loadable, if you were having memory limitations; the reverb (gigapulse) possibilities, if you don't already have good reverb that suits you; more ports, if you couldn't handle enough midi channels before.

I'm up to about 80 channels loaded, 5 ports of 16 each, and can load enough instruments to very rarely require a re-load of gigastudio content.

It's an admirable, ambitious program, with bugs that are dying slowly.

Absolutely.

Remember that the support forums of any software product are always filled with posts by those having problems. People without problems just do their work, without comment. People who are procrastinating doing their work (like me), post on forums in support of those having problems.

Does this mean GS3 will work for you without a hitch? Nope. But it's worth the chance.

GS 3.04 works pretty well, here.

Gigapulse, multiple sample stacking on indvdl. MIDI channels, much more polyphony, all make it worthwhile, especially if you already have a lot invested in Giga libs. like I do.

JZ

Day by day I love the fast load times. I have a template with all of VGS, the PMI Bos piano and three GigaPulse instances. Takes just over two minutes to load on my 1GB machine.

The system has been rock solid.

-JF

I have also been afraid to install ver.3. I remember a problem with Hammerfall cards losing a critical file when installing ver.3 causing the Hammerfall card not to function. Does anyone know if there was a fix for this?
    Thanks.
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by JeffMarshMusic
    I have also been afraid to install ver.3. I remember a problem with Hammerfall cards losing a critical file when installing ver.3 causing the Hammerfall card not to function. Does anyone know if there was a fix for this?
    Thanks.
    Jeff
    I just recently installed GS3 on my PC that was already being used with Garritan Personal Orchestra (GPO) and my Hammerfall HDSP 9652 card is working like a champ!

DPDAN

I'll have to concur on it being worthwhile. One benefit not mentioned yet -- faster latency. With GSIF2 drivers, you get the kernal MIDI feature which tightens up responsiveness even better than it was before.

There are also the "iMIDI" feature for round-robin and other very interesting ways of sample alternation. I haven't even touched this yet but am hopeful that Larry Seyer's new drum library does take advantage of it.

The upshot for me is that I had to finish my current piece on GS2, as my oh-so-carefully programmed drums showed a real drift on GS3. It is that much faster, even on 3rd party audio hardware.

Also there's the fact that newer GS libraries require GS3 for all the trimmings. So that's another thing to consider.
    Some experts learn more and more about less and less, until at last they know everything there is about nothing at all.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffMarshMusic
    ...I remember a problem with Hammerfall cards losing a critical file when installing ver.3 causing the Hammerfall card not to function. Does anyone know if there was a fix for this?
    I think 3.01 fixed it. If not, 3.02.

-JF

Go Back to forum