• Register
  • Help

Topic: Serious help this time.

Share/Bookmark

Question Serious help this time.

I need to have a long sustain on the vibraphoney no baloney Chuck Mangonie! Seriously, I've recorded with sustain pedal and up the duration and it played the way I needed but upon playback the notes do not sustain. What can I do to have the pedal down open bar position vibraphone?
    Thanksk. Uk kuk kuk kuk! I yams what I yams. That's all I can standz and I can't standz no more!
    Styxx

Re: Serious help this time.

Styxx,

Are you using Cubase SE?

Mark.
    As in music - so in life!

Yes I am thank you.
    What's happening; I'll play back the first time and it will sound as I want with sustain for six beats (one measure of 4/4 and half measure of 4/4). The second time I go to replay sustain is not there. Something with the pedal sustain settings?
    Styxx

Styxx,

I suspect that you are using a single piece of cc64 (127) data at the beginning of the track and your sequencer is either not chasing cc64 data properly or you have not set the option for chasing that data in the sequencer (assuming you can in your particular sequencer). Make sure that first piece of sustain pedal data falls at or after beat 1 and before the note "on" of the first note of your piece by at least one tick. Your sequencer could be missing the cc64 data if it sits prior to beat 1. A brute-force fix might be to place cc64 (127) data frequently throughout the file (every 4 beats or 2 beats or 1 beat). That way you will quickly re-establish the pedal position no matter where you stop and start the file.

One last thing to check: Make sure you have the player set to the second pedal mode, not the first. Vibraphone is set for midi switching not standard sustain.

Tom

Another thing to check for is CC64=0 messages in your sequence. Go to a graphic view and check for extra sustain messages. I've done this one myself. It can occur if you punch in after recording a part earlier.

Weird, since I am just delving into the dark realm of editing in Cubase SE for the first time I did come across what appeared to be extra control messages pertaining to sustain. BUT, as Tom instructed,
    One last thing to check: Make sure you have the player set to the second pedal mode, not the first. Vibraphone is set for midi switching not standard sustain.
    I checked and the player was set to the last mode. I changed it and recorded more to the track and it was fine. The first two measures must be re-recorded with the proper control setting. Also, I want to personally thank the team for thinking of the "speed" control for the vibrato. I was just what the score called for, "sustained fast vibrato vibes"!
    Thanks so much Haydn and Tom for helping me with this little problem. What would this forum do without you.
    Styxx

Go Back to forum