• Register
  • Help

Topic: Beethoven II. 2nd mvt tryout

Share/Bookmark

Question Beethoven II. 2nd mvt tryout

Hi everybody!

Here´s a link to my attempt to render the 2nd movement of Beethoven´s 7th symphony:

http://www.lostandlonging.com/GPODem..._Beethoven.mp3

I´d be very interested in any comments you might have, maybe also in some of these points:

1. what do you think of the basic reverb setup?
    2. does anybody else hear the 2nd violins (top voice) out of tune in bars 35ff. (starting at 0:57) like I do?

Looking forward to your comments!

And: Thanks a lot to Styxx and Joseph Burrell for hosting the piece! Big thumbs up!!!

Regards,
    Erik

Re: Beethoven II. 2nd mvt tryout

Wow, that's ambitious!! And extremely well done! The dynamics really shine in your rendition. At first I felt maybe the tempo was a tad faster than I would normally be used to but it seems to work well. Anyway, re your two questions:

1) the reverb seems to work OK. It's sort of a Toscanini studio room sound, isn't it? I prefer more of a hall sound but that's personal taste.

2) yes, the 2nd violins do sound flat for a good section of the piece. Maybe a slider got nudged??? This doesn't typically happen with GPO that I've noticed...

Contragulations on an impressive piece of work!!

It is indeed ambitious! And it sounds good. But of course, not good enough! Recordings like this validate all my recent effort in tuning orchestral samples: EVERYTHING in this recording (almost) sounds out of tune to me, because it is both equal tempered at best, and randomly a little worse than equal tempered in most places. Does seem a little too fast, as well; and the crescendo is unrealistic somehow -- could you get an orchestral recording and make a visual comparison, how the growth in sound looks in your audio software? But all this criticism is not intended to take away from an impressive version of the music. Well done.

All technicalities aside, this is a remarkable piece of work. I certainly admire you for devoting so much time to a composition by my favorite symphonist. Bravo! Thank you.

Best regards,

Larry A.

Thumbs up Re: Beethoven II. 2nd mvt tryout

Maloney! Wow, what an undertaking! Your rendition is fantastic! I kind of strayed from my desk for a bit there to look a plan over and while studying I had forgotten I was listening to a rendition. Actually, the Superintendent recognized the piece and commented on how much he liked Beethoven. When I showed him where and how it was done, he flipped! So, we played it again without any interruption. He just shook his head and walked out of the office.
    And that's what it's all about isn't it? The average non-musician yet lover of music loved it and the technical stuff didn't matter.
    Nice work, proud to have another fine musician on this forum. Happy to have helped you, anytime.
    Styxx

Very good effort! It's always nice to hear another mockup from the standard repertoire.

The reverb is fine.

Intonation isn't that bothersome, however more work could be done on balance. Sometimes the upper strings are a little too present, sometimes the winds are a bit too forward. Try to shape and blend the sound so that it integrates a bit more.

I believe there should be f or ff timps accompanying the trumpet punches at 4:02.

All in all, an excellent, quite musical rendition.

Hi DarwinKopp!

Thanks for your remarks, especially on the missing timpani! You seem to know the piece very well! I really have forgotten those! Which leads me to another question that I have all the time dealing with timpani: How do you do staccato (e.g. damped) timpani? They don´t seem to react on key release!

Thanks!

And, btw, thanks to all the others who have taken the bother to listen and give their remarks about it! Especially that intonation remains quite an issue for me. I have checked, but couldn´t find any reason other than the samples themselves. Will continue searching, though.

Quote Originally Posted by DarwinKopp
    Very good effort! It's always nice to hear another mockup from the standard repertoire.

The reverb is fine.

Intonation isn't that bothersome, however more work could be done on balance. Sometimes the upper strings are a little too present, sometimes the winds are a bit too forward. Try to shape and blend the sound so that it integrates a bit more.

I believe there should be f or ff timps accompanying the trumpet punches at 4:02.

All in all, an excellent, quite musical rendition.

Quote Originally Posted by efreitag
    Hi DarwinKopp!

Thanks for your remarks, especially on the missing timpani! You seem to know the piece very well! I really have forgotten those! Which leads me to another question that I have all the time dealing with timpani: How do you do staccato (e.g. damped) timpani? They don´t seem to react on key release!
    Damped timps used to be a problem, especially where absolute silence was required after a given timp note. However, the latest (free) upgrade now has a key switch that will force the timps into "damped" mode and back again on demand.

I haven't played around with this too much, but it seems to require that if a given timp note is to be damped, it cannot be ringing undamped prior to the switch point or the switch won't take until that sample has released naturally. For example if the part were quarter, eighth, eighth, all on a B natural where both eighths were to be damped, switching to damped mode after the quarter note won't work because the quarter note will still be ringing at the time when the first eighth note is to be played. In this case, one would have to back up and switch to damped mode before the quarter note is played. Having the damped effect on the quarter note may not be what's wanted, but at least it's better than having ring-through on the last eighth note.

Regards,
    Darwin

Oh, I am already using that update. This is one of those damn RTFM problems then (or as others like to call it - UTS-problem ;-)).
    I´ll polish that when I find time over the next days! Thanks Darwin!

Quote Originally Posted by DarwinKopp
    Damped timps used to be a problem, especially where absolute silence was required after a given timp note. However, the latest (free) upgrade now has a key switch that will force the timps into "damped" mode and back again on demand.

I haven't played around with this too much, but it seems to require that if a given timp note is to be damped, it cannot be ringing undamped prior to the switch point or the switch won't take until that sample has released naturally. For example if the part were quarter, eighth, eighth, all on a B natural where both eighths were to be damped, switching to damped mode after the quarter note won't work because the quarter note will still be ringing at the time when the first eighth note is to be played. In this case, one would have to back up and switch to damped mode before the quarter note is played. Having the damped effect on the quarter note may not be what's wanted, but at least it's better than having ring-through on the last eighth note.

Regards,
    Darwin

Go Back to forum