• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Continued boot up problems

Share/Bookmark

Angry Continued boot up problems

OK, I am pulling my hair out here and just don't know what else to do. I had another thread going on midex 8 interface, thinking that may have been the cause of my puter not booting up properly (without the WXP disk and doing a chkdsk through 'r' repair).

I installed a 12v power adapter to the Midex 8 and still have boot up problems. Can get things going through WXP start-up disk (using repair and dskchk).

Have done all the 3-4 hour diagnostics (3 times) on this Seagate boot drive and absolutly no errors. Installed new 400 Mhz Ram (2 gig), new nvidia 5700 card. No luck, can't start windows without the WXP disk.

Using 2.8 GHz, P4p800 MOBO. Any other suggestions (did a fresh install of WXP - SP 1A as well.) What left is there to do? MOBO check?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone could be.

(note: when I do the chkdsk in recovery I always get 'found one or more errors'. I restart and puter works flawlessly all day. Start up the next morning with the same boot up woes. Going mad here - anyone at all have any further suggestions for me to try out. The projects are stacking up and I am concerned I will start to lose clients over this.)

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

Re: Continued boot up problems

Is your boot drive SATA? I've always had flakey results with that config, and always use an IDE drive for the OS.

Hi and thanks guys,

The boot drive is IDE (set as Primary IDE).

Lee - MOBO battery??? Where is that and how do I get a hold of one of those. Any way to test it first?

I have reseated all the connectors but will recheck to be sure I didn't miss something.

It was built for me in a nice 4U rack mount case with lots of air circulation. The temp of the CPU is never above 103 F (read somewhere it could be in the 115 F range and still be OK.)

I have made a back of the boot up drive (I have a port where I can insert this drive.) How do I set it up so teh puter 'sees' this drive to boot up from?

Could find it in Bios (I can see this drive but not a place to 'make it' a THE bootup drive.)

The craziest thing is that is only does this on first boot up of the day (if I have to 'restart' for any reason during the day I am fine.) It just baffles my mind!

Many thanks in advance.

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

One thing I just discovered is that this machine was built for me last APril and it has BIOS v1012 (ASUS P4P800 Deluxe MOBO). The site says the most current is v1019. Could that be my problem?

I have CD DVD drive on this but no Floppy drive

http://www.asus.com.tw/support/engli...os/afudos.aspx

According to this article looks like I need a floopy to creat a boot up disk. Can I just boot up from a CD (which I make with the new update ROM file on it.)

The task of 'flashing' looks somewhat daunting - anyone else done this or am I opening a 'can of worms'. Just want to get this first boot up of the day problem fixed

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

Are you using an 80 wire ribbon cable to the drive?

You really need the floppy drive. They're cheap. Flashing a BIOS is not all that difficult or risky. Just hope the power doesn't go out while you're in the middle of it though!

One tip: part of the process will be in a console (DOS-like) mode. Before you start, write down the file name of the file that you will flash carefully, and exactly. DOS often only shows an 8.3 format, and if the filename is longer or is cryptic, you may get into the DOS part, only to back out to avoid confusion. By writing everything down, you can get the job done in one pass.

-JF

Hi Bill,

I am not certain what cabling this builder has used but he builds 'hundreds' of these each year. He is even stumped as to why only in the morning do I have a problem.

Jon,

Can I not burn this update ROM (v1019) onto a CD and use that drive? Would the BIOS really be causing this kind of problem though. What do you think?

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

I didn't see your other thread. What exactly IS the error you're getting at startup? (should have asked this first, sorry)

Hi Bill,

It just won't start up first thing in the morning (after first boot up I can restart as many times in the days as possible (have to with SX every once in a while).

So I have to insert the WXP disk and boot from there (after having done an 'r' recovery). Take the disk out reset the computer and it works everyday like that. When I do the chkdsk in the 'r' stage it always tells me that the boot up disk has 'found one or more errors'.

As I mentioned before, I have done all the torture tests and the Seagate desktop drive test (takes 3 hrs each time) a number of times and never get any errors or problems with the disk through these tests. Did a fresh WXP install a month ago - using SP 1A.

Hope that helps.

Lee,

I see that lithium battery. What is that for? Do I just pop that out and replace (will I lose anything)? Can I test it out first? Many thanks.
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

Does the system appear to be taking longer during boot process detecting hardware before Windows doesn't load? Could be that the hard drive is taking a long time to spin up.

What happens if you let the computer sit for awhile (15 minutes) and then reboot?

If Windows repair is finding errors, then there is a very high probability that you have a hardware problem. This could be a sign that the hard drive is starting to fail.

How big is this drive? It's possible that the BIOS is having issues with the size.

Go Back to forum