• Register
  • Help

Topic: Styxx hits the floor African Style!

Share/Bookmark

Thumbs up Styxx hits the floor African Style!

Yeah, I had a blast today playing with the African American Dance and Drum Society at a school assembly. First the dancers called on some people to learn a dance. Then the drummers picked randomly students and teachers to try their hand (literally) on the drums. Yours truly was picked and they had no knowledge I had been playing percussion all me lifesk!
    Man, they gave me the high pitch drum. One of the leadmen stood next to me and said, Just follow me (in an accent). OK, I said. He played one series of rhythm pretty much an open stroke roll with varying flam accents. With a big smile he pointed to me to return the rhythm. Man, you should have seen his eyes when it came back to him just like he played it! The harder he played the more I improvised on his strokes. It was awesome!
    After, we sat and talked all about the drums of Africa and percussion and our backgrounds. The all had a laugh when I gave them mine. We even touched on GPO and the questions were plenty! Gave them the website and even brought it up on the office PC. Listened to a few demos but their time was running short and were on their way to Jamaica Mon!
    I had the best day in three years at this school. Now, I have to get me one of them drums. I know what they are called I just can't spell it! Wait, djembe I believe? Wish I had a video camara.
    BTW - The two of us danced out front to our rhythms. Freaking embarrassing!
    Just thought I would share with you cause I like ya so much.
    Styxx

Re: Styxx hits the floor African Style!

Days like that live in our hearts for ever. Really happy for you there fellow.

Karl

you will dream about this tonight Styxx
    sounds like you had a blast
    DPDAN

Sounds like it was a blast Styxx. When we have our GPO Convention you must lead the African Dance party

Gary

Well, I sure wish I could have seen that!

For long, I have wondered. In the early seventies, or late sixties, there was a group called Styxx. Any connection here?

Richard

Styx?

They are on tour now.
    Aaron Clark, C/C++, J2EE, Flash, Perl and PHP programming.
    Logic Pro 7.0.1, G5 1800x2, 3 Gig ram, GPO and GOS lite.
    My site: http://www.clarkaudio.com
    Where I work now: http://www.blinex.com/

Talking Re: Styxx hits the floor African Style!

Ernstinen,
    Your buddy in N. Minnesota, does he have a website? Love to check out his products.

Uix Guru, Don't I wish. Just a nick name my friends gave me because I was never caught without a pair of drum sticks.

Gary, Let's do it mon!

DPDAN, School will seem awfully boring today! I think I was dancing in my sleep last night!

Got to get me a djembe. I looked them up on line and they are farely priced depending on size, wood, hand carved or machine made. Start saving me pennies!
    Man, I don't wanna work I wanna bang on de drum all day!
    Styxx

Go Back to forum