• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: patches change uncontrolably

Share/Bookmark

patches change uncontrolably

I'm running GS3 with either Sonar 3 or Finale 2005 and I keep having the same problem. I'll load up my patches in GS3 and then set up all of the MIDI channels in Finale or Sonar, and when I press play all the patches change in GS3, making it fairly useless.

I'm using an Audiophile 2496 as my Midi and audio interface.

Any suggestions?

Jeremy Levy

Post Re: patches change uncontrolably

I recommend that you install a diagnostic program like MIDI-Ox on your machine:

http://www.midiox.com/moxdown.htm

It's free and has quite a few interesting features. In this case you could use it to echo the incoming MIDI data to your screen, so you can see what data is actually being received. You can also use it to filter the data, for example to remove patch change messages, even if just for experimentation to see if the problem is resolved.

I'd probably want to do that to confirm if incorrect data is being received. If no, then focus on GS. If not, then focus on the sequencer. I run those apps on separate PCs, which makes things more discrete and easier to troubleshoot. If only that made me write and mix better as well...
    Some experts learn more and more about less and less, until at last they know everything there is about nothing at all.

Re: patches change uncontrolably

Are you sure that the banks and programs in Sonar/Finale are set correctly? I use Sonar 3 and Sibelius 3 and they work predictably with GS3.

GS3 has its own MIDI monitor, so you don't need MIDIOX.

If you look at the lower right pane in Giga, you can see the instruments and their banks and program numbers. Make sure that the numbers in Sonar/Finale correspond.

Also, do you have a MIDI keyboard feeding Sonar? If you change settings on your keyboard it may send patch changes through to Giga. Happens to me all the time when I switch from and internal sound on the controller to my usual Giga composing setting.

Best of luck.

-JF

In the Finale Instrument list, you need to un-check where it says "Send patches before play"

I have the same problem using Finale 2004, and it's (afaik now) random in behaviour. Finale's "send patches before play" only controls the inital patch change, so it is not the solution to uncheck it, rather it's part of the problem. Some of these initial patch changes work, some do not. Some "change patch" into the track work, some don't. Exactely the same procedure did work with GS2.5, so it's a GS3 problem. I haven't had time to invest any deeper, but perhaps somebody do know a solution?

Cheers,

Chris
    New music at
    www.calegy.com

Let me better explain what is happening and how I am loading up everything. Maybe I'm just not doing something in the right order.

I open Sonar 3 first, then open GS3. Let's say I load up a string section on Port 1 with 1st Vln on channel 1, 2nd Vln on channel 2, Vla on channel 3, and Cellos on channel 4. Then I go back to Sonar and set up the proper routing on each midi channel.

Now here comes the problem. As soon as I select a channel on Sonar and start playing, the setup in GS3 goes wild. Usually, the 1st Vln patch doubles itself onto channel 2 and pushes all the other patches down a slot. Sometimes, the 1st Vln patch clones itself onto all the other channels of GS3.

This same thing happens when I press play in Sonar as well.

I've had a little bit of luck by putting each channel on a different bank as well, but it doesn't always seem to work.

Please tell me that I'm doing something stupid that can be easily fixed.

Jeremy

What bank and channel are listed in Giga's lower-right panel for your string sections? Did you set Sonar to match these numbers?

-JF

By default, it is on bank 0 and channels 1-16 as it corresponds to the midi channels on Giga port 1. This is how I set it up in Sonar as well.

Oops, I meant to write bank and program, rather than bank and channel. I understood that you had the channels matched.

-JF

It may not be what’s creating this problem, but you should launch GS first, then launch Sonar by clicking the Sequencer button on the GS tool bar.

Go Back to forum