• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Does the bible get anything right?

Share/Bookmark

Does the bible get anything right?

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    for me the cause of war is greed and as far as i understand it there is wisdom regarding this issue

Re: Does the bible get anything right?

It can't even keep its own fictional universe straight....
    --
    Robert Gregory Browne
    KISS HER GOODBYE (now available)
    KILLER YEAR: Stories to Die For (Jan. 2008)
    WHISPER IN THE DARK (2008)
    St. Martin's Press
    http://www.robertgregorybrowne.com

Quote Originally Posted by charles
    for me the cause of war is greed and as far as i understand it there is wisdom regarding this issue
    James 4:1-3

1What causes fights and quarrels among you? Don't they come from your desires that battle within you? 2You want something but don't get it. You kill and covet, but you cannot have what you want. You quarrel and fight. You do not have, because you do not ask God. 3When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your pleasures.

Yep, the bible got it right.

Rob

I'm not sure about the biblical angle, but war = greed seems to apply in most cases. The whole concept of war as a valid endeavor (except in self defense) is really evil.

I had been thinking (from a theoretical standpoint only!) about what it would take for a super-wealthly person to completely destroy the wealth of a semi-wealthy person with one caveat: no laws are to be broken. Frankly, I couldn't come up with any answer.

Let's say that the attacker learns that the target owns a bunch of stock in a given company. He then buys the company, takes control of the board and zeros it's stock. That doesn't work, because the board would be violating its fiduciary responsibilities to the shareholders, and they could go to jail. A more subtle undermining of the company would give the target time to get his money out and invest someplace else.

Or maybe the attacker forms/buys a competitive company that destroys the smaller one. Same problem. It will take time, and the target can re-invest - maybe even into the attacking company.

The attacker could also plant favorable information about a doomed company. But that would be fraud.

In Jack London's The Iron Heel (1906) a few methods were used: A reporter is threatened with job loss if he reports the wrong story (modern day CBS); a priest is declared insane after preaching about the difference between Jesus' actions and those of the oligarchy (see Bill Frist's proposed governmental paranoia bill); an independently wealthy man who questions actions by the oligarchy has his safe deposit box emptied at the bank, all records of his stock ownership in the local mill destroyed and a false mortgage created against the home that he owns in the clear.

These three attacks are all illegal: wrongful termination, slander/libel and theft/forgery. But if you own the best lawyers and judges, it may not matter.

But these are all small-time. For big time weatlh destruction or theft all you need is a big collection of oligarchs in one country and the smaller oligarchs in another. Then you find a pretext for war. You sit back while the proles kill each other off, then take the spoils. You even have your lawyers and politicians draft laws to legitimize war and even create "special rules" to apply during times of war.

If theft and tresspass are illegal, then starting wars - super-theft and super-tresspass - should be super illegal.

BTW, in The Iron Heel a war between the US and Germany is averted. How? The workers in both countries go on a comprehensive strike for a week, shutting down all communications and transportation. They come back to work with the threat to continue the action, unless the threat of war is ended.

Too bad that doesn't seem to work in real life.

-JF

Ya know Jon, I'm not sure about your premise. If there's something I've observed about war it's that it only makes a few rich (weapons vendors) and while we may call that the military industrial complex it's a fairly small piece of the overall economy. Meanwhile the general economy slogs along in doldrums because of the investment in war (both monetary and the energy of youth). Peace makes more people richer. It seems the Palestinians may finally be coming to that realization. What's unfortunate is that peace seems to be so easy to derail.

Steve Chandler

> "Ya know Jon, I'm not sure about your premise."

Me either! I was mostly thinking out loud.

> "What's unfortunate is that peace seems to be so easy to derail."

Too true! We all have our frustrations, fears and hatreds, and when that gets channeled against a common target, look out!

-JF

Quote Originally Posted by robh
    James 4:1-3

1What causes fights and quarrels among you? Don't they come from your desires that battle within you? 2You want something but don't get it. You kill and covet, but you cannot have what you want. You quarrel and fight. You do not have, because you do not ask God. 3When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your pleasures.

Yep, the bible got it right.

Rob
    Speak for yourself.
    --
    Robert Gregory Browne
    KISS HER GOODBYE (now available)
    KILLER YEAR: Stories to Die For (Jan. 2008)
    WHISPER IN THE DARK (2008)
    St. Martin's Press
    http://www.robertgregorybrowne.com

Quote Originally Posted by robgb
    It can't even keep its own fictional universe straight....
    Neither can robgb.

BTW...does a "free iPods" link in a sig count as spamming the forum? Just sayin'...

Quote Originally Posted by robgb
    Speak for yourself.
    I don't know if I follow what you mean, that I should speak for myself that the bible got it right?

Rob

robgb is just an angry middle aged man. I showed him in like 15 versions of the Bible it all said the same thing on one topic in the same verse and chapter but acording to him The Bible is no more credable than maybe just some kind of comic book or something. Aparantly he's more credable and a lot smarter than all of us.
    I do not regret the things I've done, but those I was unable to do.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast