• Register
  • Help

Topic: Consistent errors: "Could not find sample" HELP PLEASE!

Share/Bookmark

Consistent errors: "Could not find sample" HELP PLEASE!

Hello all,

I just purchased the full version of Kontakt and updated to 1.5.3, which is installed on my main system drive. I own EWQLSO silver, Stormdrum (which I previously ran using the built in Kompakt player) and other samples that are stored on my other internal drive. However, I would obviously like to run them through the full Kontakt instead, but there's a problem...

For some reason, whenever I try to load an instrument and/or multi, an error message pops up: "could not find sample." The only time this message doesnt come up is when I load one of the instruments that came with Kontakt (e.g. guitar). The interesting thing is, Kontakt can auto-find the files it needs just fine (takes some time, but does work) but when I quit the Kontakt program as stand-alone or VST, restart, and try to load and play the same instrument from the browser again (or any other instrument for that matter) the error message still comes up! In fact, it errors upon startup with Kontakts own Default multi-instrument! (the guy who says "Kontakt")

My guess is that Kontakt does not know where to look to find the actual samples it needs for these instruments, to which I've tried initiating the "quick-search volume scan" tool. However this does not solve the problem. (What good is that tool? )

I cant image having to sit through this search for each instrument I want to play! I never had such an error in kompakt. Is there anyway to fix the problem? Is there a global preference I'm missing or something? Do I need to painstakingly load each instrument one by one so it can find the samples, and then save this as my default?

I thank you in advance for your help, and apologize if this is a lame question (I've searched these forums and the net but to no avail)

Thanks again,
    Jon

edit: I'm using Mac OS 10.3.7 if this helps anyone. THANKS AGAIN

Re: Consistent errors: "Could not find sample" HELP PLEASE!

Are you saving the multis through Kontakt? If you save a multi in Kontakt, will it load that multi again later or do you have the same problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Marko
    Are you saving the multis through Kontakt? If you save a multi in Kontakt, will it load that multi again later or do you have the same problem?
    I have tried this solution, and it does find the samples when I save. However, this does not seem like the ideal fix, as the time it will take to load and save each instrument in EWQLSO Silver and Stormdrum will be HUGE! I'm also curious, if I replace the instrument files, will they still be able to be opened in the EWQLSO Kompakt that came with each library, as well as my full Kontakt?

I was told on the NI forums that this is a "Mac only" problem, and that "The problem is due to the fact that your sample library has a different directory structure to what Kontakt is expecting." Is there a way to change my directory structure for Kontakt, or better yet change what Kontakt is expecting?

There has to be another way to solve this problem, as I cant imagine all mac users having to go through this! Please let there be a better way!!

I have been diddling the Library folders of late -- but stil have some glitches here and there.

I am not in love with Kontakt's structure -- but it is much broader than I expected. I guess I am use to the Kompakt interface as far as loading.

While it is said that you canb put the samples anywhere on the disk -- for efficient use this is not so. As I work the structure on my IMac -- I'll try and make a note or two here ....and if you could do the same maybe we can get a real world solution going....or some furthger tips (I am not holding my breath) from NI.

Well, I didn't figure out what was causing the problem, but after reinstalling my sample libs, the files now load without error. Kontakt still does not know the size of the instruments in the browser, but it can find all the samples, so I'm happy!

My observation: I guess Kontakt needs to be installed BEFORE any instruments, or it will somehow not be able to locate the correct samples. I still dont understand why it cant find its own startup samples though. Oh well.

Thanks again for your time everyone, and I cant wait to get started using Kontakt! Next stop...KEY SWITCHING

Go Back to forum