• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Outside the box

Share/Bookmark

Outside the box

Hi,

With the exception of a few percussion and sound fx samples this is almost entirely GPO and GOS. I needed to get an almost eerie frenetic sound. The scene is a mother and father chasing the abductor of their child. The idea here was NOT to closely imitate a real orchestra. Instead, in order to get that eerie sound I processed the heck out of a lot of the GPO insturments running them through modulators and filters etc. Also, I decided on this one that it was best to stay away from a strong melody so its mostly about texture.

http://www.andybrick.com/projects/ot...sedpursuit.mp3

Hope ya like it.

Andy
    Phone: 917-327-0293
    Email: andy@andybrick.com
    Web: http://www.andybrick.com
    AIM: andybrick

Re: Outside the box

Nice Cue, Andy!

All processing done within DP, or are you using some outboard gear?
    What's doing the big cavernous reverb?

Brian

I dooo like it. Good job, Andy!
    You have inspired me (forgive me please, for no one can stop me now! ), to offer a suggestion on the hi strings and the glock sound...
    ...and that is, what do you think about making those particular sounds kinda 'rubbery'. Well, perhaps by using audio processing (I dunno, stretching/bending/super-chorusing?), with either outboard or online plugin tools?

I'll shut up now. It's d_mn fine as it is!
    -Rudy

I love this cue, Andy. VERY inspiring to hear someone do this kind of work with GPO.
    --
    Robert Gregory Browne
    KISS HER GOODBYE (now available)
    KILLER YEAR: Stories to Die For (Jan. 2008)
    WHISPER IN THE DARK (2008)
    St. Martin's Press
    http://www.robertgregorybrowne.com

Andy this was exactly like some of the stuff I want to do. I'm wondering how much of the fx sounds were processed GPO sounds. I'm investing in a few FX tools to modulate and process audio into cool pads and effects and I'm curious if this is done with something similar. My results thus far have been far from inspiring in most cases, but that's due to my immense lack of intelligence.

Thumbs up Re: Outside the box

The scene is a mother and father chasing the abductor of their child.
    I would say you captured this frantic emotion perfectly sir! In my opinion, leave the high strings and glock alone. They are more effective as is. Just my senses.
    Also, the rhythmic texture is devastatingly fitting for the chase!
    Nice...
    Styxx

This is great andy.

sincerley,

Jonathan

Hi all,

Thanks for the comments.

Looks like this little demo did the job so I guess I will be writing more of this kind of stuff in the near future...

Lets see...

Brian & Joseph: Yes, entirely DP. There is a very synthy sound in the lower register. Its first heard at around 20 seconds. This was actually one of the gpo bassoons that I tweaked with the multimode filter. That errie ringing half way through got the same filter plugin applied to a doubling of a flute and glock. Of course, it sounds nothing like that now but that was the point. I really didnt know what I was doing. I just started pressing buttons and turning knobs. I also ran almost every instrument though some kind of echo effect. DP has this cool feature in the midi echo effect where it will transpose iterations of the echo into different scales and modes and whatnot so i played around with that for a while too.

The big cavernous reverbs are just the reverb trails of drums processed with Altiverb.

Andy
    Phone: 917-327-0293
    Email: andy@andybrick.com
    Web: http://www.andybrick.com
    AIM: andybrick

Very interesting. I think you achieved your goal in the feeling you wanted to create.
    Trent P. McDonald

Nice!

All them effects in there are really cool. You're ceratainly right on the money when you say it's outside the box.

Good work and keep it up!

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast