• Register
  • Help

Topic: Listener responses?

Share/Bookmark

Listener responses?

Hey, guys.

The Composer Channel will go live on Monday. As I'm putting the final touches on the related web pages, a thought occurred to me. People are going to love the music, and a lot of them are going to want to interact with the composers of their favorite songs. Personally, I'd like to promote that as much as possible, as I know that I always enjoy hearing from people who enjoy the music, books, columns, etc. that I produce and I suspect many of you feel the same way. There's some great music we're airing, and I think you deserve all the attention you can get.

I was kicking around the idea of putting a link to the forums here and encouraging them to let you know how much they enjoy your work. Would you consider it an intrusion to have non musicians talking to you in the General Discussion forum, or would you welcome the accolades of your fans?
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Re: Listener responses?

Why don't you set up your own mini-forum for the composer's channel? That way you have a place specifically for that purpose. As composers we can never get enough propers, but I think it might distract from the community here being primarily GPO users.

It is a good idea to provide a place for feedback, though. How did the Mac testing turn out?
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Quote Originally Posted by jesshmusic
    Why don't you set up your own mini-forum for the composer's channel? That way you have a place specifically for that purpose. As composers we can never get enough propers, but I think it might distract from the community here being primarily GPO users.

It is a good idea to provide a place for feedback, though.
    Papa Chalk has been extremely supportive of the project, so I was thinking in terms of bringing more traffic his way. However, if they're not musicians it might be, as you pointed out, a distraction. Still, I wanted to toss the idea out here first - always take care of the people who take care of you!

Quote Originally Posted by jesshmusic
    How did the Mac testing turn out?
    Haven't heard back on that yet. If you're a Mac guy and want to do a little quick testing, I'd be happy to hook you up.
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Maybe it could become its own GPO sub-forum???

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Duncan
    Hey, guys.

The Composer Channel will go live on Monday. As I'm putting the final touches on the related web pages, a thought occurred to me. People are going to love the music, and a lot of them are going to want to interact with the composers of their favorite songs. Personally, I'd like to promote that as much as possible, as I know that I always enjoy hearing from people who enjoy the music, books, columns, etc. that I produce and I suspect many of you feel the same way. There's some great music we're airing, and I think you deserve all the attention you can get.

I was kicking around the idea of putting a link to the forums here and encouraging them to let you know how much they enjoy your work. Would you consider it an intrusion to have non musicians talking to you in the General Discussion forum, or would you welcome the accolades of your fans?

Well, the idea is good. But I am not sure of the best way to apply it.
    It is certainly a good thing to hear from non-musicians; that is where your intended audience is! But they might find a site filled with musicians somewhat intimidating, so some separation is essential.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland
    But they might find a site filled with musicians somewhat intimidating, so some separation is essential.

Richard
    I know what you mean. After all these years, I'm still caught off guard at a gig on occasion when it dawns on me that people are afraid to talk to me because I'm "in the band", "today's speaker", etc. Many people put those who perform up on a pedestal and therefore don't feel "important" enough to talk to us, which is kinda weird since we're all just regular folks, too. Besides, in my opinion, the only important people in the room are the ones in the audience.
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Red face Re: Listener responses?

Hi, Chris - -

I can think of three routes for this sort of "feedback" from listeners who aren't active on the GPO/NS Forum:

[1] Set up a "fans" section on your site where people can send "fan mail" to the registered artist[s];

[2] Set up a sub-section on the GPO forum (a fifth) which could be posted to by unregistered users (if PaPa can do that and Gary agrees),

[3] Give out a "public email" address (certainly not one's primary) for each artist as a piece is played (i.e., something along the lines of "that was ____ by so-and-so and you can send fan email to him/her directly at yada@hooba.com"). {Be careful that you pronounce "fan email" clearly, otherwise it sounds like "fanny mail" which is something else entirely!} With so many free email services (such as yahoo.com and hotmail) an artist could set up a "fan mail" email easily if that is not already accomplished.

At least, that's my $0.02 ... regards ...

KevinKauai

Hey, Kev!

Good suggestions all, although I ain't going anywhere near the topic of Fanny Mail...

After hearing everyone's comments, this is probably not the right place to send listeners unless they happen to be musicians themselves, which will probably be the case at least some of the time. The thing to do may be to have in big bold letters on the TCC site that if you're a musician and you want to use cool tools, this is the place to be.
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Go Back to forum