• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: gigastudio 3 for a mac user

Share/Bookmark

gigastudio 3 for a mac user

Hi Guys

I have decided that i want to use a dedicated pc to use only for gigastudio to run along with my Mac sysytem. I see requirements for Giga here and on the Tascam site, but Id like to know which computer that I can order that is already assembled that would do the job. I know Sweetwater and Carillon inflate the prices greatly .

any input

thanks

Tom Shad

Re: gigastudio 3 for a mac user

You might be able to contact a small, local PC shop and ask them to put it together for you. You can then specify as many of the parts as you want, and let them choose the rest. As long as they are enthusiasts that drool for overclocked machines and who have built many systems, they should be able to do it for you.

In Vancouver, Washinton I would choose Computer Mart (no web page), as they offer good prices and have competent people.

For examples of what to buy, seach for the "systems that work" thread. The main things you'll want are a good motherboard and memory with a compatible CPU. You'll want to choose the audio card carefully, depending upon your unique needs. If you want fast disks go with Western Digital Raptors. If you want quiet ones, go with Seagates. For quiet powersupplies and fans, take a look at www.silentpcreview.com . Just request the parts that matter to you and let them choose/reccomend the rest.

For lowest risk, I recomend the best Pentium motherboard from Asus. I don't have that number off the top of my head - I took more risk and went with an Athlon 64 system.

The only drawback of using a non-audio company to build your machine is that they won't have experience installing and servicing the music software. You would need to do that yourself.

-JF

Quote Originally Posted by tomshad
    Hi Guys

I have decided that i want to use a dedicated pc to use only for gigastudio to run along with my Mac sysytem. I see requirements for Giga here and on the Tascam site, but Id like to know which computer that I can order that is already assembled that would do the job. I know Sweetwater and Carillon inflate the prices greatly .

any input

thanks

Tom Shad
    I have to say that I thought that my Carillon was not in the least over-priced. The machine turned up when they said it would, everything was loaded, worked first time and I've not had any problems since. I am about to buy four more, so that should tell you what I think of them

Daryl

Hi Tom,

I'm currently running GS 3 on a music pc built by rockinghamsound (www.rockinghamsound.com). The machine is built tough, comes rack mountable, and has been running giga without a hitch. I highly recommend one.

They have a store on ebay too which you may want to check out first - I was able to get one of their brand new computers (using buy now option) for about 400 bucks less than what's listed on their website.

http://www.rockinghamsound.com/pcatalogue.asp?tID=1149

-sroll down - mine in on the right.

good luck!

MCK

Quote Originally Posted by tomshad
    I know Sweetwater and Carillon inflate the prices greatly .
    I disagree. These companies are simply charging you for:
    - a PC customized for audio, pre-built, no hassles
    - support

You CAN build a PC of similar specifications for less, but then you have to do all of the research yourself, and you are on your own for service.

Here are some links for "turnkey" systems:
    http://www.carillonusa.com/clnweb/index.jsp?country=US
    http://www.musicxpc.com/index.cfm
    http://www.truespec.com/index.shtml
    http://www.visiondaw.com/productcart/pc/customIndex.asp

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl
    I have to say that I thought that my Carillon was not in the least over-priced. The machine turned up when they said it would, everything was loaded, worked first time and I've not had any problems since. I am about to buy four more, so that should tell you what I think of them
    Daryl

I'm also a Mac user and I have a Carillon. And as Daryl mentioned, I can only recommend it. Both for ease of use/setup and price (don't forget that all components are in silencers..etc...your corner PC guy may not be quite as capable or knowledgeable about this aspect of it)

Not least because the reality of it is that as a Mac user it would be very bad advice to throw you off the deep-end and stick you in a room with a PC that more than likely would require enough knowledge to take it through its teething process etc...

If you are more of a computer buff than a musician, then that is a different matter.

Another friend of mine uses Coyote R&D - he's scored two of the biggest films of 2004 and it's making him very happy<http://www.coyoterd.com/musican.htm> but I haven't tried it.

B

Hi all,

I, too, am a long-time Mac user. Last summer I took delivery of a Carillon system preconfigured with GS 2.54, and I had a series of problems with the US operation. The machine itself is excellent: fast, quick, just what I needed. US Tech support is, (how shall I put this delicately?) spotty. At the time I found it infuriating; now it just means that as I expand my studio with more GSs, I will look elsewhere for PCs.

Good luck, and I would very much appreciate knowing what you end up buying.

Bowman.

Hey Guys

Thanks so much for the replies. One composer friend suggested getting a fast p4 used and using a version of giga with less voices to see if it is for me and get some gigs that would pay for a larger version. What im looking at with any sysytem is something like 2000 i was thinking more like 700 total. So..I'm not a major scoring guy but have done a few things here and there . Its odd that most stuff I have done recently was very low tech .

Tom

I just had a guy build me a computer specifically for Giga ....If you are talking about a computer for $700, I don't think you will find anything like that for the demands that Giga has....Remember you also need a sound card to go with your computer .... It all adds up ......Sorry, I don't mean to be the bearer of bad new's....Good Luck in your search ....Sincerely, Jim

BTW...I'm also a Mac user, and have waited for YEAR'S for Giga to come in the Mac format....When you start to see the amount of ram you need, and the fast /quiet drives you need to run Giga properly, especially Giga 3, you will understand what I'm referring to for your computer needs....Jim

Hi All

I finally was reccomended a local pc guy who is great with Giga. Thi is the system i ordered that i willl have in about a week.

aria case
    asus intel mb
    2.4ghz 533 fsb
    1.5gb ddr266 ram
    60 gb system drive
    160 gb audio drive
    dvd/cdr combo drive
    10/100Mbps Fast Ethernet
    usb 2.0
    m-audio audiophile 2496
    audio card

24-bit/96KHz