• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: The Mac mini

Share/Bookmark

The Mac mini

Check out the new Mac mini - just 6.5 inches wide, 2 inches tal, 2.9 lbs and a mini price of $499.

It has a 1.25 or 1.42GHz G4 processor, 40 or 80GB hard drive, a slot-loading CD-R/DVD-ROM optical drive, 256MB DDR SDRAM (Supports up to 1 GB) and reportedly whisper-quiet. this may make a nice little GPO box.

http://www.apple.com/macmini/

Gary Garritan

Re: The Mac mini

Still a rather large price tag for not much computer. You could build a decent mini PC for that price and have a much faster processor and more RAM. Why are Mac's sooooo expensive? Is it the components? I would love to own one just to see what all the fuss is about. Of course, I'm a tinkerer so I like to get my hands into these things. Would look cute in the family room though. I would probably still go the Shuttle PC route since I have to be able to upgrade and repair it myself. I'm glad they've got a more ecomonical offering on the market though. Maybe when I win the lottery, eh?

Compared to the rest of the Macs, this sucker is really inexpensive. As a Mac user, I can testify to that!

I'm not sure it has enough juice to handle a full GPO orchestra. I am planning on someday getting a big G5 tower that can handle a larger orchestra among other things.
    The mini would be better than what I got, but since I have an iMac I would have to buy a monitor.... Boo.

Thanks for posting this, Gary!
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    Still a rather large price tag for not much computer. You could build a decent mini PC for that price and have a much faster processor and more RAM. Why are Mac's sooooo expensive? SNIP Maybe when I win the lottery, eh?
    Good lord. I would hope if you win the lottery you would get more than $500. You don't need to win a lottery to buy this thing. You need to sell all the spare PC parts you have lying around your house on eBay. (But keep a spare mouse, keyboard and monitor). And then don't go to Starbucks for a couple of weeks.

Yeah, if I win the lottery my wife will get 99.99% of the money and I'll be left with just enough to buy 1/2 of the Mac Mini.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell

Yeah, if I win the lottery my wife will get 99.99% of the money and I'll be left with just enough to buy 1/2 of the Mac Mini.
    Yeah, and you wouldn't have it any other way, would you? You married guys are soooo spoiled...
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Just a guess, though, that this may work well with the distributed audio scheme of Logic. I can see a stack of these as "instruments" without the DFD problems.

I have a mac G3 that has lasted for 17 years.......now that is a record of reliability that no pc can match.....

Very true words moosethree. I'm lucky to get 5 out of a PC. Of course, they're all obsolete in 2 years anyway.

Looks nice .... but really too bad that it's a Mac! I'll never buy Apple again after years of grief with them. In comparsion my Carillon AC1 is like being in heaven!

Go Back to forum