• Register
  • Help

Topic: Marimba patch panning

Share/Bookmark

Marimba patch panning

Being a mallet percussion player, I would like to create a Marimba patch that is accurately panned - from the point of view of the player. This would be mainly for solo literature (though I guess it could be used for "normal" uses).

When a player stands at the marimba (normal starting position, anyway) the notes D4-G4 are directly in front, or centered in the stereo image. As the player reaches to the left, the bars going down to A2 (or C2 on a 5 octave instrument) sound progressively panned harder to the left. On the right side, bars going up to C7 sound progressively panned harder to the right. For a listener standing directly in front of the instrument, the imaging would be flipped.

I can think of a low-tech way to do this, but I'm wondering if there's a better way. What I was thinking was to fill all 8 slots of a Kontakt player with the marimba sound, pan them uniquely, then set ranges of notes to play on the different channels. This wouldn't be a smooth pan though...

Thanks, Dave

Re: Marimba patch panning

Quote Originally Posted by db_woodall
    I can think of a low-tech way to do this, but I'm wondering if there's a better way. What I was thinking was to fill all 8 slots of a Kontakt player with the marimba sound, pan them uniquely, then set ranges of notes to play on the different channels. This wouldn't be a smooth pan though...

Thanks, Dave
    You're right about the smooth pan thing, and you are also headed in the right direction. With eight loaded marimbas, that should be enough to create the audio illusion of a stereo mic'd instrument. It would be worth trying, also if you used an impluse response of a very small room you could mush it all together to smooth out the gaps between slots.

DPDAN

Go Back to forum