• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Sonar vs. Logic vs. Cubase vs....?

Share/Bookmark

Sonar vs. Logic vs. Cubase vs....?

I\'d just like to hear from other people what they like about their sequencers. What do the others have over Sonar XL 2.2? I might switch one day.. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks

Re: Sonar vs. Logic vs. Cubase vs....?

I like Logic because I have been using it every since v3 and its grown onto me... I have a copy of Cubasis VST which is nowhere near the new Cubase SX and didn\'t quite like the function in that, but I didn\'t spend much time learning it either as all I need to do was to extract midi-files and wav files... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Haven\'t used Cakewalk stuff before either...

Thing I like most about Logic is the environment where its easy to see the signal flow and I can insert all sorts of stuff to modify the signal!!! That\'s been very invaluable!!! Also, the integrated EXS24 MkII and EVP88 are just brilliant!!!

The only thing I don\'t like is that now that they are on Logic 6, I will need to upgrade to Apple to take advantage of the Freeze function... But the PC version of v5.5 suits me jsut fine now and I will probably buy a fast PC first and then upgrade in about 2-3 years time when I have more $$$, am married, have a house BUT before my kids start popping out!!! heheheheh...

In many ways I am glad I didn\'t crossgrade to Cubase SX then after figuring out that I would need to spend more money to replace the EXS24 and EVP88 if I crossgrade...

meeehoon

I\'m using SX for midi/VST\'s and Vegas for audio, video sync and mixdown.

I was very interested in Logic until they dropped support for the PC. I have heard that it has some great functions for composers, something about calculating cue lengths based on song tempos or something... I forget now...

I couldn\'t really say what it has over Sonar I\'m sorry as I don\'t use it.

SX 1.05 is much better than when it came out of the box as 1.0 (obviously!) - The Cubase forums had some pretty irate users for a while accusing Steinberg of using the public as a \"beta-testers\" on a released product.

Regards, Scott.

If you\'re into a lot of processor intensive DSP, SoftSynths and Samplers, the Freeze function is amazing. If you doubt that, just wait till you see it in action.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I should add that you can write a macro to do this in SX. I wrote one to export audio, mute the original midi track, import the audio back in and turn off the VST. (Roughly along those lines.)

Now if I want to \"freeze\" a track, I press; ctrl-shift-F.

Cheers, Scott.

Originally posted by Lee Blaske:
    ... Plus you could, for instance, unfreeze, change the velocity of one note in a graphic editor then re-freeze in an instant. ...

Lee Blaske
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Yeah, for me the unfreeze would be just as important as the freeze ...

thanks for the info...

-david abraham

Does the freeze feature also work with groups of midi tracks instead of with individual tracks? I mean, I use 3-8 midi tracks per instrument and then bounce them to their corresponding audio tracks. I wouldn\'t want to get an audio track \"underwater\" for each midi track in my current Autoload file (120+).
    Although I got the Logic to SX-crossgrade as my future sequencing platform, I\'m still thinking about the Mac route [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I like Logic too, despite being marooned on the PC platform. I\'m aware I can upgrade to a Mac at some point in the future, I just don\'t have a compelling reason to do so.

What I like about Logic goes way beyond the audio handling. Of the major sequencers it has the best notation function. As a composer who starts with paper this is valuable to me. The event list is pretty easy to work in as well, so basically the midi functionality in Logic has me hooked (since version 1.7). The fact that the audio side is as good as it is is just icing on the cake.

Steve Chandler
    Http://www.mp3.com/stevechandler

logic 5.5 on PC when hell freezes over and apple drops the price on macs i\'ll cross over. also
    id like to get into DP

Over the years I\'ve gone from Mac/Performer to PC/Cakewalk to PC/Logic to PC/Cubase SX and will never look back. Your mileage may vary. Try the demos.

Here are some of my more detailed thoughts on the value of online advice:

http://www.tascam.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23411

http://www.tascam.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28284

I had also posted a detailed reply to a thread in a list that does not have public access, so here is the body of the message

Any answer you may get from this question will have limited value - and
    it\'s your fault. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ) But seriously, the reason for this is that you
    don\'t give enough information.

What\'s your background?
    What\'s your previous recording experience?
    What\'s your previous computer experience?
    What\'s your previous music training?
    Do you already have a platform preference?
    What are you trying to accomplish?
    Are you only looking for studio gear, or are you looking to record
    remotely?
    Do you want to use mainly electronic instruments for end-to-end
    production, or do you want to simply produce scratch tracks and then
    record live players for the final product (or somewhere in between)?
    What\'s your budget?
    How much money are you willing to spend over a given period of time in
    order to achieve a certain level of functionality?
    How \"far\" are you willing to go in terms of licensing software versus
    stacking up hardware?
    How do you want to integrate with your current studio/working method?
    How much time are you willing to invest in gaining the most
    functionality from your system (are you a tweaker or a plug-and-play
    type)?

Do you see what I mean?

All of these things factor in - and anyone that thinks they can give you
    a fair answer without getting this information from you is likely doing
    you a disservice.

Regardless of what you do or how you do it - and whether you have a
    preference for Mac or PC - going through this process is necessary and
    valuable - even if you simply make a list of factors and keep it to
    yourself.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">

Logic 6 is the best music sequencer as of now. Of course this is subject to change but I really feel that Apple/Emagic is just getting started. Its a thing of beauty when you realize how it is intended to work.

Go Back to forum