• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: gpo works perfect cubase nuendo but doesnt read midi keyboard from gpo studio

Share/Bookmark

Smile gpo works perfect cubase nuendo but doesnt read midi keyboard from gpo studio

hi , quick question
    a friend of mine whos got the GPO is having this strange problem and actually he knows another person who has the same problem, maybe it can be sorted easily and u know the solution, well, these 2 guys have both PC with windows XP , the one I know the best has a midi controller keyboard Roland PC-180A , what happens is , he installed GPO, and he can use it perfectly with no problems in Cubase and in Nuendo, no problems at all, all perfect , but when he loads the GPO Studio we cannot get the any input from the midi controller at all , this happens also to that other guy as well, he can use GPO as virtual instrument in cubase or nuendo and get normal keyboard input and all perfect, but he cannot get input from the keyboard from outside of those programs and definitely not when loading the standalone GPO studio or kontakt player - could this be related to a problem with windows xp , etc,
    this is not a big problem for these guys cause they use GPO with cubase and they can do it now with no problems so for them this is not an issue at all , it doesnt worry them but it worries me cause I will need to use both cubase etc and also overture for scores , I was seeing the problem myself and I cant understand it, from cubase nuendo etc the midi inputs are there, the GPO outputs are there and all goes perfect , but from the GPO studio, the outputs yes are there, and the input is there but there is no reading being taken from the roland keyboard , - one idea we had was, could this be related to the fact that some controller message needs to be sent specially with the GPO studio to reset everything or something like that? maybe not, but I dont know , what do you think about this anyway , maybe this is a problem with windows xp, in any case apparently this is happening to this two guys
    thanks for any info
    Jav

Re: gpo works perfect cubase nuendo but doesnt read midi keyboard from gpo studio

Javismiles, as far as I know, GPO studio does not respond to midi from and outside source. I learned this when I tried to get my midi from Digital Performer (Mac) into the PC with GPO as a stand alone device. I had to purchase Steingerg's V-STack which is $60.00 and allows many many Kontakt player instances and responds to midi from an external source.
    Works great!

DPDAN

Re: gpo works perfect cubase nuendo but doesnt read midi keyboard from gpo studio

On the Garritan site is this link http://www.garritan.com/downloads.html.
    The blurb there says:

Running GPO on a Different Computer than your Sequencer:: Windows Version (28KB)
    If you have two computers and wish to use Garritan Personal Orchestra on your PC Computer while using your sequencer on a second computer, the GPO Studio MIDI inputs file will help. You must always have the GPO Studio MIDI inputs program running to use the MIDI inputs with GPO Studio. This will only run with GPO Studio. To install copy it to your hard disk. To run, double-click on the GPO Studio MIDI inputs exe program...

I have tried this with GPO Studio V1.2 (the October update...make sure you have the update or you may not get midi to sound at all through some apps).
    I can get my Vision sequencer on my Mac Quadra to trigger GPO Studio instruments on my PC.

Smile Re: gpo works perfect cubase nuendo but doesnt read midi keyboard from gpo studio

thank u so much, I dont know what people would do without this forum, its great, you were right, we downloaded that little file and used it and yes, not we can use GPO studio standalone in the windows XP PC without using the sequencer at the same time, it recognizes the midimate input and it works, fantastic

now we have the last issue remaining, now after opening GPO studio and all works perfect, we open Overture, cause we want to try overture with GPO studio , and now the problem is that in overture when we try to select the midi input (the Roland PC-180A keyboard is attached to the computer via a Midi-USB cable and the name of the midi input is : MidiMate ) , when we try to select the midi input in overture it doesnt work , it tells us that the midiinput is already in use by another software (I guess its referring to GPOStudio) . The funny thing is that if we dont select the midiinput first from GPOstudio the overture doesnt seem to work with the midiinput after opening GPOstudio first. so this is confusing

basically

1. if we open overture alone by itself , yes, it recognizes the midiinput and we can enter notes with the keyboard

2. if we open GPO studio by itself , yes, it recognizes now the midiinput with that little program and we can play with the keyboard

3. so the problem comes opening both together .

a) if we open first GPO studio and assign the midi input there with the little program, then when we open overture it doesnt allow to enter midi because it says that the midi port is already occupied by somebody else , must be referring to GPO studio

b) if we open first GPO studio but dont assign the midi input and then we open overture it simply doesnt seem to find the midi input anywhere so it also doesnt work

so there seems to be something there related to the GPOstudio-overture interaction that we obviously dont know in here, any help? thank u so much

Jav

Quote Originally Posted by Daag Nabbott
    On the Garritan site is this link http://www.garritan.com/downloads.html.
    The blurb there says:

Running GPO on a Different Computer than your Sequencer:: Windows Version (28KB)
    If you have two computers and wish to use Garritan Personal Orchestra on your PC Computer while using your sequencer on a second computer, the GPO Studio MIDI inputs file will help. You must always have the GPO Studio MIDI inputs program running to use the MIDI inputs with GPO Studio. This will only run with GPO Studio. To install copy it to your hard disk. To run, double-click on the GPO Studio MIDI inputs exe program...

I have tried this with GPO Studio V1.2 (the October update...make sure you have the update or you may not get midi to sound at all through some apps).
    I can get my Vision sequencer on my Mac Quadra to trigger GPO Studio instruments on my PC.

do you know , whats the midi controller message that has to be sent to do a total reset of the midi device? this Im very interested to know

cause I think this way it will probably sort out the problem we have,
    we open GPO studio and dont assign midi input there, then we open overture and midiinput then is available but yes doesnt read from the port, and we think its because of the need of a general reset maybe,

cause if we open overture without GPO studio then it reads no problems from the midiinput

thank u for any help )

Ive also had this issue with overture, although knowing how delicate windows is it doesnt surprise me, which is that sometimes if I do something of assigning midi stuff in the wrong order it just produces a total windows serious error and resets the whole computer, but again this is not a big surprise knowing that windows operating system is quite picky with things,
    funny enough I can assign GPO players as the midi outputs no problem but if I try to assign the midi device of the pc then it crashes totally, probably some funny windows interaction in there

main thing Im wondering about now is that controller message to reset the whole device, a message to reset totally the midi system , let me know if u know
    Jav

Quote Originally Posted by javismiles
    main thing Im wondering about now is that controller message to reset the whole device, a message to reset totally the midi system , let me know if u know
    Jav
    I don't know (yet) about a reset button in those apps. But I think you're doing the right thing not to assign the MIDI In within GPO Studio the very same MIDI in that you want to use while in Overture. I think the midi data flow starts from your controller, then to Overture, and passed on from Overture to GPO, so a redundant setting of identical midi ins in both GPO studio and Overture would likely result in conflicts. So, I'm betting you need to learn more about Overture's midi settings.

There are people in this forum who are much smarter than I about Overture...but he's in bed right now.

mmm, funny,
    we just made it work once, but we dont know how!
    suddenly it was working, the GPO studio with instruments loaded, the overture open and reading from the midi input and the instruments sounding through the speakers , all perfect,
    then opened midi outputs , there was a crash, resetted all and now we cannot do it again, thats why I think its something related to a reset command that needs to be done or something to the midi device, maybe

another thing is that there is some funny interaction maybe between windows xp, midi and overture or something cause often touching the midi out setup options of overture causes a total windows crash and reboot, quite spectacular I would say

so currently thats it, we made it work once and we dont know how we did it

thanks a lot for the message Daag, I think I made it work now, its getting better, already worked a few times, its something to do with resetting midi,
    , do u know whats in general the reset message that resets all midi devices? thank u again for the reply
    Jav

Quote Originally Posted by Daag Nabbott
    I don't know (yet) about a reset button in those apps. But I think you're doing the right thing not to assign the MIDI In within GPO Studio the very same MIDI in that you want to use while in Overture. I think the midi data flow starts from your controller, then to Overture, and passed on from Overture to GPO, so a redundant setting of identical midi ins in both GPO studio and Overture would likely result in conflicts. So, I'm betting you need to learn more about Overture's midi settings.

There are people in this forum who are much smarter than I about Overture...but he's in bed right now.

Go Back to forum