• Register
  • Help

Topic: Best "ambiance" settings for piano?

Share/Bookmark

Red face Best "ambiance" settings for piano?

Hi All,

I've been following these forums for the better part of this past year. I got my GPO in the summer and have been trying to work up the "chops" (and the nerve) to post some of my handiwork. I'd like some advice on what reverb settings provide the cleanest, most "present" sound for the Steinway piano. I like the way it sounds on the wet audition setting, but when I try to recreate it with Ambiance, the sound goes mushy and muddy on me. There is a demo on the solo instruments page, "Meniscus" for solo piano the sound of which I also like. My understanding of psychoacoustics is minimal and my twiddlings of the Ambience knobs just take me further from my intented goals. Help!

All in all, I just wanted to say also that I have learned so much from all of you here and really appreciate the good humor and comraderie that pervades all aspects of this forum. I am hoping to improve my mastery of GPO enough so that I can fully utilize it in the production of a CD that I am arranging for a singer friend of mine. But I'd be happy to start with the piano sound!

Re: Best "ambiance" settings for piano?

Quote Originally Posted by loogoo
    Hi All,

I've been following these forums for the better part of this past year. I got my GPO in the summer and have been trying to work up the "chops" (and the nerve) to post some of my handiwork. I'd like some advice on what reverb settings provide the cleanest, most "present" sound for the Steinway piano. I like the way it sounds on the wet audition setting, but when I try to recreate it with Ambiance, the sound goes mushy and muddy on me. There is a demo on the solo instruments page, "Meniscus" for solo piano the sound of which I also like. My understanding of psychoacoustics is minimal and my twiddlings of the Ambience knobs just take me further from my intented goals. Help!

All in all, I just wanted to say also that I have learned so much from all of you here and really appreciate the good humor and comraderie that pervades all aspects of this forum. I am hoping to improve my mastery of GPO enough so that I can fully utilize it in the production of a CD that I am arranging for a singer friend of mine. But I'd be happy to start with the piano sound!

I don't think your question has a direct answer. Experimentation is probably the best bet. I use only the presets, don't diddle with the knobs. For that exercise, I use cakewalk reverb effects. Its a good idea not to use the Wet versions, as these are really demos, not intended for actual usage. I use the X-Custom Steinway.

I use mostly recital hall 2, or large room when I use the GPO ambience. Mostly, I find the others have too much echo for piano. When recording other instruments, that is a new ball game. For pipe organ, the ambience preset Church is good, Cathedral has too much echo. But for some organ works, other settings.

Probably lots of conufsion here, but my point is, there is no best setting. Just try the presets until you find what you like. If your sequencer has some reverb effects, try them also.

Richard

Go Back to forum