• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO & Sonar 4

Share/Bookmark

GPO & Sonar 4

My number one son has given his aged father a gift, and Sonar 4 (Studio Edition) will soon be arriving at my door - if FedEx can find me in this wilderness and if the creek doesn't move any closer to the road. One stormy night, the creek bed moved 6 feet closer to the roadway in front of my house.

It will be used almost exclusively with GPO VST, probably mostly X-Custom instruments, but mostly cakewalk reverb effects, occasionally GPO Ambience.

Anyone have any advance advice, warnings, etc? (besides asking Noah to swing by with the ark)

Richard

Re: GPO & Sonar 4

Richard,
    I can't say I have advice or warnings...but I will say you're gunna love it!!!!

"So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland
    Anyone have any advance advice, warnings, etc?
    Richard,
    Make sure that, if the version of SONAR that you receive is NOT 4.01, that you get and apply the free update patch. This patch fixes, among other things, a very nasty bug with envelopes that caused them to be improperly synchronized when rendering audio.

Otherwise, you should notice an improvement the quality of the rendered audio. I did, at any rate. Folders are a great organizational improvement also. It's been a while since I fired up 2.2, so there may be more...
    Bill

I agree with billp! Wholeheartedly.
    Steve A. Gallant

www.SteveGallant.com

Quote Originally Posted by billp
    Richard,
    Make sure that, if the version of SONAR that you receive is NOT 4.01, that you get and apply the free update patch. This patch fixes, among other things, a very nasty bug with envelopes that caused them to be improperly synchronized when rendering audio.

Otherwise, you should notice an improvement the quality of the rendered audio. I did, at any rate. Folders are a great organizational improvement also. It's been a while since I fired up 2.2, so there may be more...
    Hey, Bill.

I just started using Sonar 3 as my MIDI and GPO workhorse. Haven't upgraded to 4 because I don't care about all the audio features. However, your comment got my attention. How much of a difference is there in rendering quality between the two? Could you possible post and A and B comparison link for me to hear? I don't have any burning desire to upgrade, but if there's problems in the version 3 rendering...
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Chris, there is a HUGE difference between Sonar 3 and 4. Mostly "Freeze" and workflow enhancements. The freeze function realy makes a big difference. Track Folders keep things organized and the "overhead" track view makes things real easy (see the screen shot in my Golden Fish Demo post). A lot of bugs were fixed and the console is better. It's hard to explain but it's like driving a Porche after Sonar 3. Real solid. Renders are less glitchy with big samples (at least for me)

"So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Christopher,
    I'll try to post something. Cake says "improvements in the audio engine". At least one touted improvement is the POW-r dithering, which you can read about HERE. The rendered audio seems more transparent.
    Bill

Go Back to forum