• Register
  • Help

Topic: Composer Channel: I've made some changes you requested

Share/Bookmark

Composer Channel: I've made some changes you requested

Hey, folks.

Thanks so much for all the great suggestions and observations you've made. I've had time to incorporate a few of the things you've come up with or pointed out, which will hopefully make things that much easier to navigate. Here's what's new.
    1. If you check 'Remember me' when you login, you no longer have to go to the forums page for auto login to happen. When you go to www.ShowProgramming.com, you'll see a link at the top of the page welcoming you and giving you a link that takes you directly to the player page. If you're not logged in, that text changes to a link pointing you to the "Tcc Login"
    2. "Tcc Login" - the images you see in various places that say "Login and Listen to TCC" will now automatically take you to the player page after you login. If you're already logged in and click on it, you bypass the login page and go straight to the player page.
    3. The player page now shows the currently playing show and the one coming up next only. It also has a few links to see today's and tomorrow's schedule. Today's schedule now displays shows from the current show on, to reduce clutter. Tomorrow's schedule is the full day.
    4. The player page also has a link to search for all shows by composer in either today's or tomorrow's schedule. This will list only those shows that contain at least one song by the given composer.
    5. The "click here to listen" image has been made more prominent and eyecatching so you don't have to hunt around for it.
    6. In the page for the show edition, the hosts have been moved to the bottom of the page to reduce scrolling when you want to see who's in a particular edition.
    7. Fixed the problem where the station was inadvertently broadcasting in mono.
    8. Discovered that 56k is still too hot for dialup. I've got a call in to my hosting guys to give me another set of ports so that I can offer a lower bandwidth option that will work on dialup without all the constant rebuffering.
    9. Made an obvious entry on the Create Account page letting you know that you may only use numbers and letters for the user id or the login process will not work.
    There may be a couple of other fixes and new features, but that's all that comes to mind. I won't always be able to implement every idea I hear from you, but your suggestions really are making a difference in the quality of the experience, and I appreciate it, as will your fellow community members.

Thanks!
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Smile Re: Composer Channel: I've made some changes you requested

Christopher,

I am amazed how well you have pulled this off. It’s a real professional production. It has a lot of class in the way you have formatted it to work. Listening to all the great GPO works has been such a treat, and I can’t thank you enough for your efforts.

I am wondering though, given the list of stuff above, when do you sleep? Also, I took the liberty of fixing your post, as it was inadvertently posted in mono:

"So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Re: Composer Channel: I've made some changes you requested

OBTW, since your going with a dual band option, are you going to kick up the bit rate for broadband? Not a big deal..just wondering...
    If you do, having all those GB transfers might up the hosting costs though...
    "So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Quote Originally Posted by Brian2112
    Christopher,
    Also, I took the liberty of fixing your post, as it was inadvertently posted in mono:
    Who knew that fish were such comedians?
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Quote Originally Posted by Brian2112
    OBTW, since your going with a dual band option, are you going to kick up the bit rate for broadband?

If you do, having all those GB transfers might up the hosting costs though...
    That's the reason that the "broadband" is only 56k. The station costs are coming out of my personal pocket, so with money going out and not coming in, I'm reluctant to incur additional bandwidth expenses. Offering a 22k for dialup will actually reduce bandwidth for those on dialup (and hopefully give them an option that doesn't constantly rebuffer!).

And I'll sleep when I'm dead!
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Duncan
    Who knew that fish were such comedians?
    Brian2112 is no fish out of water when it comes to comedy.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Duncan
    That's the reason that the "broadband" is only 56k. The station costs are coming out of my personal pocket, so with money going out and not coming in, I'm reluctant to incur additional bandwidth expenses. Offering a 22k for dialup will actually reduce bandwidth for those on dialup (and hopefully give them an option that doesn't constantly rebuffer!).

And I'll sleep when I'm dead!
    Christopher,

Let's see what we can do to bump up the bandwidth. I have some ideas and will contact you.

Gary

Wow, Christopher... What can I say: A-MA-ZING!

Yesterday I was a little afraid that my suggestions could be misunderstood as the ramblings of a not-so-old grumpy madman, and 24 houers later they all are implemented.

Bravo!

I really like how you reorded the individual show page's contents and included a search function. Makes the usability of the whole thing skyrocket.

You've earned my deep respect a long time ago and it only kept growing since then. I lack the adjectives to keep praising your efforts without becoming repetivite...
    Greetings from Vienna!
    Peter
    My website: Above the staff.net

I recently was able to get WinAmp to work as well. Other than the dial up buffer issue, Winamp works as well as Real Player.
    Styxx

Go Back to forum