• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Which Libraries for intimate room music?

Share/Bookmark

Which Libraries for intimate room music?

I am most interested in creating a more intimate, ensemble room type of music. I was thinking that the dry libraries or close miced libraries would be the best for my purpose. Often however the libraries are pointed to making big orchestral music. Can someone tell me which libraries (solo-strings, solo-brass, woodwinds) are really usable for what I want?

Re: Which Libraries for intimate room music?

Kirk Hunter's Solo Strings and Westgate Woodwinds are both dry and work together well. VSL's stuff is dry also.

-JF

Sounds like VSL Chamber Strings is what you're after!

Quote Originally Posted by FredProgGH
    Sounds like VSL Chamber Strings is what you're after!
    ... and of course our solo-woodwinds and brass-instruments match them perfectly.

I've been thinking about the Xsample series for chamber music. The demos on their website sound really good to me. For some reason, you don't hear about them much, though. Does anybody have any experience working with them? Opinions?
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Hello,

What's your budget? In my view VSL chamber strings sound to big for what you may want. They are more suited for divisi parts, or for "American" size chamber string sections. (Save the money to buy VSL's woodwinds). You would be better off buying VSL solo strings, currently the best in my view, and building small sections from the numerous banks. The legato playing with the performance tool is great. But I have to say the vibrato can sound a little LFO-ish.

Kirk Hunter's solo strings are an alternative. Note they are in mono. I don't like the timbre quite as much, but that's personal. (He also has a flute, with other stuff coming)

Don't forget Dan Dean's Solo strings, which are now very good value, but only one velocity (mf) and less suited for expressive playing. There is a GS .art file which builds small violin sections by transposing the single violin, which sounds OK for accompaniments. I note excellent use of his cello in another thread.

For solo winds: VSL has the best flute (which is also featured in the Opus1 collection along with the solo violin and cello). The VSL french oboe is also excellent, (but does not feature in Opus 1 which has the more honky sounding Viennese oboe instead).

Dan Dean has a set of decent sounding woodwinds, but the flute sounds a little dull. I also have the Xsample woodwinds, which present great value. Apart from the flute, Dan Dean's sound better. (Xsample also have solo strings, but all non-vibrato. You're meant to use LFO, yuk) I am not too familiar with the Westgate woodwinds, but the demos I heard sounded OK but not superior to what I already have.

In my view, if you have the money, go with VSL, no-brainer. (Buy the seperate sets, not opus 1). Great sound, fairly dry -it can take a small room impulse, and: the performance tool.

Have to agree.
    VSL does the delicate sound so well.
    And performance tool is really crucial when you don't have mass and volume to cover the weak spots for you.

Performance legato and the repitition tool are the deal for anything that is exposed and it sounds like everything you want to do will be very exposed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharmy
    Ed, have you had someone check out your tongue recently?
    Craig - my id pic is just a pic of me drooling for the new library you just posted about.!

Hi to all of you.
    Thank you very much for your answers.
    I own already KHSS. I think the VSl Chamber Strings is indeed to big for me. I'm looking more into small ensemble music. I didn't know that Westgate Woodwinds are dry.
    About the VSL libraries: they are attractive to me but for my budget really expensive. So first I'm looking for libraries that I can afford.
    Last edited by Vango; 01-17-2005 at 02:55 AM. Reason: mistake in writing

Vango, if I were you I wouldn't worry too much until after Namm next week. You may find you have more options then...

Go Back to forum