• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Rock & roll

Share/Bookmark

Rock & roll

Now that I've got things up and running, I have a backlog of songs to get into the existing shows, and of course that's a priority. However, I'd also like to get some shows going for a few other styles of music in addition to the symphonic and world music that we already have so we can capture a larger audience for everyone.

To that end, I'd like to get you guys thinking about using GPO/GOS in a rock & roll context. Same guidelines as for other stuff. It doesn't matter if it's all GPO or just uses one instrument, as long as it has a little GPO/GOS in it.

I will, however, add one small artistic limitation - since I'm working to promote good vibes in all that I do, I'll be avoiding any of the angry / violent / dark & dismal / fatalistic / death metal / etc. type of stuff. There's a place for music of all types in the world, but it's just not the sort of thing I want to promote in my own endeavors. Stylistically, the groove can be anything - 50s / 60s / 70s / 80s / 90s / 00s etc. I'm basically looking for work that could be defined as feel good / uplifting / party / fun / happy kind of stuff. It can be a meaningful anthem or just a throwaway dance tune, I don't care as long as it presents a good spirit.

So, crank up the guitar, buy the drummer another pitcher of beer, prod the singer in the posterior with a cattle prod, and see what sort of variations on the old 4/4 I-IV-V you can kick out with some GPO mixed in. I mean, the Who didn't have any problems integrating French horns with Pete Townsend, so how hard could it be?

Oh, and keep it rock & roll for this show: no rap / funk / hip hop / etc. stuff. We'll be doing separate shows for other styles, so I'm taking them one at a time. Rock & roll gets first call because, well, most of my amplifiers go to 11...
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Re: Rock & roll

I've got a couple of modern rock style songs on my upcoming kids' music album that each feature one GPO instrument (trumpet on one song and Jethro Tull-ish flute on another), so I'll send along those once they're ready.
    www.EricHermanMusic.com
    - Cool Tunes for Kids -

Coolness! Does the rat play guitar on those two?
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Is it OK if the song is 24 minutes long??

No, sadly she passed away a year ago. She's jamming with Hendrix now.
    www.EricHermanMusic.com
    - Cool Tunes for Kids -

Here's one we did last month that features GPO piano and GOS strings (layered with real strings). It's a pretty mellow song but it is positive! And it's only 6 minutes long- practically a single

Heros And Dragons

Quote Originally Posted by FredProgGH
    Is it OK if the song is 24 minutes long??
    Sure, as long as it's in five 5 minute movements...
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Here's one we did last month that features GPO piano and GOS strings (layered with real strings). It's a pretty mellow song but it is positive! And it's only 6 minutes long- practically a single

Heros And Dragons
    Excellent stuff, man - I love it! Er, you'll notice that it's already been added to your song list.

And it's even in 6/8, which I figure is about as close to 4/4 as a prog rocker ever gets - I'm impressed!
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Heros And Dragons
    Oh, it's a Glass Hammer tune - is your partner cool with us using it?
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Okay, guys, there's one! Now how 'bout some stuff with loud guitars and a back beat?
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Go Back to forum