• Register
  • Help

Topic: The Var 1 Parameter in the Update Questions and Problems

Share/Bookmark

Question The Var 1 Parameter in the Update Questions and Problems

Hey All,
    I've been on the road a great deal and have not had time to do much. I installed the update back around Christmas and listened to one of my pieces and felt there was an improvement in the sound. Now for the embarrassing part. It was all in my head. After reading the manual yesterday, I found that the old instruments were still being used for the piece as I had not changed them to the new instruments. Well, at least I can laugh at myself!

Yesterday, I took a different piece I've just started that has a solo violin at the beginning. I assigned the new solo Gagli KS to it. The violin played through the tune, but I found it sounded like a high school student playing as the violin was going out of tune so often! Ack! I was mystifyed. I figured it had something to do with the update, so I printed out and reread the manual. I quickly discovered the culprit was the VAR 1 parameter. The default setting is around 26 or 27, and when I decreased it to zero all intonation problems disappeared. Problem solved! However, that does not mean topic closed.

So, I have a few questions on VAR 1 I'd like to ask you all about, just to see what opinions everyone has on the topic. I know where my ears stand and how much intonation variance I can take before I go `ugh'.

1) The default is set to around 26. (I know I can change this in the text file and I have.) The question is, does anyone keep it at around 26? I can't understand why the default would be so high. To me, the intonation variance at 26 is so drastic it makes for an uncomfortable level of intonation variance.

2) What setting for VAR 1 do you usually use? Do you use the same setting for solo strings vs sections? I have not playe with VAR1 to this point and it has opened up a welcome new method for creating a more realistic sound. The maximum varience I have used is 10. For a solo instrument playing a solo, I've kept it between zero and three. What have you found to be acceptable?

Finally, I have run into an issue with Cubase SX 2. I've found that when I stop play and then restart, the VAR1 parameter get reset to its default value. As you can imagine, that can get annoying. Has anyone found a workaround for it? I tried to find one yesterday for a bit with no success. I'll keep looking at it. Any input is welcome.

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Re: The Var 1 Parameter in the Update Questions and Problems

Kevin,

1. I haven't found any instruments that load with either of the VAR settings at anything other than "0". I admit I haven't checked every instrument, but many, and I frequently use the Gagli Solo KS.

The VAR settings are affected by CC's 22 and 23 respectively. Have you inadvertently put a CC22 on this?

Try loading in the basic stand-alone GPO player and see if it happens there.

2. On the violins, I normally use about 7, maybe a bit more. Maybe 11 in some very fast passages where it might make it sound a bit more realistic. Some instruments respond slightly differently. The effect is too random to use too much of this. A good player plays with pretty good intonation, except in very difficult (fast, for example) passages, IMO anyway...
    Bill

Re: The Var 1 Parameter in the Update Questions and Problems

Quote Originally Posted by LFO
    1) The default is set to around 26. (I know I can change this in the text file and I have.) The question is, does anyone keep it at around 26? I can't understand why the default would be so high. To me, the intonation variance at 26 is so drastic it makes for an uncomfortable level of intonation variance.

2) What setting for VAR 1 do you usually use? Do you use the same setting for solo strings vs sections? I have not playe with VAR1 to this point and it has opened up a welcome new method for creating a more realistic sound. The maximum varience I have used is 10. For a solo instrument playing a solo, I've kept it between zero and three. What have you found to be acceptable?
    Kevin,

The VAR1 default setting in the text file is "0" for all instruments. Are you saying that when you open the corresponding text file it has the number ".26" in line 8? I've checked my files for the Gagliano KS instrument and they have the correct "0" value. The text file for this instrument in the dry folder should look like this:

Porta
    Length
    VAR1
    VAR2
    --

Line 8 (below the ".5" value) should be "0." I've also tried loading this instrument into CubaseSX2 on my system to see if it loaded with an errant value but it loaded correctly with a VAR1 value of "0." If, for whatever reason, line 8 is a value other than "0," change it. By the way, all values in the text file must be between "0" and "1" - .26 would give a value of 26% on the player knob.

As to the use of VAR1 (or VAR2, for that matter), it is designed to be a task-specific feature. By that I mean: It should be applied to specific groups of notes that can benefit from its use and not as an overall track setting. This would include situations like rapidly repeated notes or fast runs. The ear quickly picks up on repeated samples which create the dreaded "machine gun" effect. Applying random intonational variations with VAR1 can help alleviate this problem, but the MIDI data is only applied to the repeated notes, not all notes in the track. Also, acoustic instruments, by nature, have intonational variations from note to note - no instrument is perfectly in tune on all notes. A good musician uses his/her ears to compensate and make quick adjustments to individual notes to bring intonation in line with other players and instruments, but to do this the notes must be long enough for the aural feedback process to take place. The notes of fast runs move by too quickly for the player to make accurate adjustments to all of the individual notes so intonational variations (sometimes rather large ones) are more likely to occur during runs. This can be simulated in GPO by "drawing in" VAR1 data for just the notes of the run. For more detailed information on this see my flute tutorial posted on this thread: http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=29513

If you choose to use VAR1 for an entire track keep it a small, subtle value. Otherwise your "player" will quickly deteriorate into Jack Benny.

Tom

Smile Re: The Var 1 Parameter in the Update Questions and Problems

Bill and Tom,
    Sorry for the belated thanks. I've been on the road and have had no time to logon. I'll take a look at my system and answer the questions by the weekend. Thanks again!

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Go Back to forum