• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: Interested in helping a young film-maker?

Share/Bookmark

OT: Interested in helping a young film-maker?

About 2 months ago, a 14 year old boy, Charlie, emailed me to tell me about his school contest. He (and a group of friends) have to make a 10-minute film for this contest. The winner of the school contest goes onto a national contest and wins some pretty cool prizes and publicity.

He asked me to score it and I said yes. Well, the project got delayed and it's only starting now. Problem is that I've got 2 movies to score back-to-back starting next week and 3 shorts as well. I'm still going to try hard to write some music for him though.

But I was wondering if any of you would like to contribute some original music for the movie. You guys create a ton of great music using GPO, so I thought that this is the right place to go (plus, I use GOS all the time, so I hang out here a lot).

The movie is a documentary about the movie industry in Chicago in the early 1900's. Charlie doesn't have a clear-cut idea on what style of music he wants, so the only guidelines are: film industry, Chicago, 1900-1920. Big band, anyone?

The music that's needed is:
    catchy intro (about 1 minute)
    background music for the body of the documentary (about 3-4 minutes)
    mellow music for the credits (about 1 minute)

The music has to be done by mid-february.

This doesn't pay, it won't get you hooked up with Ridley Scott and it won't get you on Entertainment Tonight! lol! But you will be helping a young kid start a dream or possibly a career. That's why I'm doing it. TONS of people helped me throughout my years as a keyboardist, so I try to do same for others. Oh, and you'll get a credit in the movie. I'll also try to get a copy of the movie for everyone who's music gets used.

What I plan to do is get everyone's music together as MP3 files, host them on a private web page on my website and let Charlie pick the ones he likes best from my web page.

If you want to send me music for Charlie, you can email an MP3 to me at mark@markderrico.com or you can upload it to my website directly at http://markderrico.com/upload.htm

That's about all the details I have.

I hope I explained all this properly! lol!

Thanks a lot everyone!
    Mark
    ---------------------------
    http://www.markderrico.com

Re: OT: Interested in helping a young film-maker?

Mark,

My current schedule doesn't leave me any room for the project, but I commend you on your community spirit in helping out a young person who's already chasing his dream. Very cool of you, man.
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Mark,

May I suggest that Charlie listen to the demos on the demo page or post here on the forum (there are hundreds of them) and see what you like. I'm sure there are demos that fit the project very well. Once you have selected some ideal pieces, we can contact the composer and see if they are interested in letting the work be used in charlie's project. I would be happy to contact the composers to seek permission on your behalf.

Hope this helps.

Gary Garritan

Christopher:
    Thanks for the comments Yeah, I would imagine your time is completely taken up with the Composer Channel.

Gary,
    That's a great idea! I'll send him the link tomorrow so he can listen to all the demos. I can't imagine any of the composers saying 'no' to this project. I'll let you know which demos he likes.

Thanks guys!
    Mark

Mark,

Let me know. I'll be at NAMM so I may take a short time but I think many composers will be willing to help.

With over 500 demos there would be something suitable. If you want to explore addition music for the project,, there are also other forums besides the GPO forum you could post your request.

Gary Garritan

Mark,

If Charlie still wants an original score, I would be happy to do it.

Let me know.

Jonny
    For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Lost
    Mark,

If Charlie still wants an original score, I would be happy to do it.

Let me know.

Jonny
    Hey Jonny

Thanks! Yeah, Charlie definitely wants an original score. Keep in mind that he might not choose all your music though. It would be great if you could write catchy theme. That's the most important music for this.

Thanks Jonny! I really appreciate all your help
    Mark

Go Back to forum