• Register
  • Help

Topic: Upgrade to Giga 3.0 after or before my computer upgrade?

Share/Bookmark

Upgrade to Giga 3.0 after or before my computer upgrade?

I wasn't sure whether to put this in the hardware forum or here, but I figured this is more about how Giga 3 Orchestra will perform.. so here it is.

My current computer rig:

Athlon XP 2500+
    1GB PC2700 RAM
    2 x 80GB Maxtor ATA133 (one for my apps, one for .gigs)

New planned rig:
    Athlon 64 3500
    2GB PC3200 RAM (four sticks of 512MB, each pair of them dual channel)
    80GB SATA150 (for all my apps)
    300GB SATA150 (for .gigs)

Or instead of the 300GB I could get two 74GB Raptors and RAID them together to get a 148GB drive.

Thoughts? Should I wait till my computer upgrade for Giga 3? Or will my current machine see benefits and be able to handle it? I could get GS3 Orch, but I could also grab GS3 Ensemble to save some money, and just upgrade to Orch later.
    Sam Hulick
    Composer
    http://www.samhulick.com/

Re: Upgrade to Giga 3.0 after or before my computer upgrade?

Hi Sam,

I was running a 2500+ and was able to run up to three GPulse instances, but not much polyphony after that. Two instances was more comfortable. With my A64 3000+ I can run up to six instances.

A day to day benefit that you will notice is that the load times are like lightning compared to 2.5. I went from being a template guy to adding instruments as the inspiration dictated. Also, even with one or two GPulse instances, you can get some cool results. I'd recommend a front row and a back row setup with L, R, Center going to each. This would be very comfortable on your machine.

BTW, I can load all of the Vienna Giga Symphony instruments into my 1 GB machine in just over two minutes. Is that cool or what?

You may have some difficulty with GigaPiano though. It's fairly thirsty and needs to switch in/out the resonance with the pedal. Add some prolonged poly and you may get some pops. But it will sound right 99% of the time, and that will let you test the water.

Personally, I think it's worth going for.

-JF

Jon,

can you list your DAW specs ?

I'm about to build a new DAW from scratch in a month or so...maybe earlier.
    The components so far are as follows:

AMD Athlon64 3200+ 90nm Winchester core( Socket 939 )

MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum-54G, nForce4 Ultra

2gig kit Corsair RAM ( PC3200 )

Echo LAYLA 3G

2x WD Raptor 24 gig (for giga libraries)
    1x Sata 160 gig for audio
    1x 120 gig for OS and software

I'm curious... 6 instances of Gigapulse, but with how many voices?
    best regards

Przemyslaw K.

I'm running...

an Asus A8V-Deluxe,
    1 GB OCZ PC3200 Platinum Rev2 RAM (2x512M)
    Athlon64 3000+ 90nm CPU
    Seagate ATA drives
    ATI Radeon 9200SE
    M-Audio Audiophile 192

Since you have an Echo board, I wouldn't recommend running the A8V-Deluxe. I tried two different mobos, and it wouldn't run my MIA. I've read about others with problems running their MIAs and one other Echo card. Works fine with Giga though. Imagine that!

For more information about systems that work for GS3, see this thread...
    http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=25063

-JF

Quote Originally Posted by Przemek K.
    2x WD Raptor 24 gig (for giga libraries)
    1x Sata 160 gig for audio
    1x 120 gig for OS and software
    You do mean 2x WD Raptor 74gig (for giga libraries), right?

Also, do you think you will really need 120 gigs for OS and programs? Fair enough if it's really cheap. But I did save some money by buying a 40gig (8mb buffer) for OS/Programs. And honestly 40gig is plenty for OS and programs... (which takes up about 5 gigs max). I even use this drive for a quick backup of important final mixes, etc... I'm not saying dont buy a 120gig, you may want it. All i'm saying is that if you dont need it, put the little extra money into something else. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by WayneSim
    You do mean 2x WD Raptor 74gig (for giga libraries), right?

Also, do you think you will really need 120 gigs for OS and programs? Fair enough if it's really cheap. But I did save some money by buying a 40gig (8mb buffer) for OS/Programs. And honestly 40gig is plenty for OS and programs... (which takes up about 5 gigs max). I even use this drive for a quick backup of important final mixes, etc... I'm not saying dont buy a 120gig, you may want it. All i'm saying is that if you dont need it, put the little extra money into something else. Just a thought.

Hi WayneSim,

about the 120 gig for OS and programs...well, thats because in my current DAW I have 4 harddrives, which 2 of them I'll take out for my new one.

I will sell the old DAW to a friend of mine ( hope he will be fine with two harddrives),so with the money I get from him + alittle bit of mine = new DAW
    best regards

Przemyslaw K.

Go Back to forum