• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Clipping Popping Sound

Share/Bookmark

Clipping Popping Sound

This has probably been addressed on the Forum before, but I can't seem to find a discussion that exactly addresses the problem I'm having. GPO seems to be clipping and/or distorting while attempting to play sounds (via the GPO Studio) through Digital Performer 4.12 or Sibelius 3. In fact the little that is produced is unintelligible. I'm running GPO on a Mac G4 laptop, 1 GHz processor and 1 GB of RAM. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Clipping Popping Sound

Quote Originally Posted by PanMan
    This has probably been addressed on the Forum before, but I can't seem to find a discussion that exactly addresses the problem I'm having. GPO seems to be clipping and/or distorting while attempting to play sounds (via the GPO Studio) through Digital Performer 4.12 or Sibelius 3. In fact the little that is produced is unintelligible. I'm running GPO on a Mac G4 laptop, 1 GHz processor and 1 GB of RAM. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Well, I don't know about Macs, but the general situation would be the same. Standard procedure would be to check levels at every possible point, check options/preferences in GPO. Buffers and latency must be checked carefully. A good starting point would probably be latency, 50, buffers 512. Make sure you are not providing a feedback path.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland
    Well, I don't know about Macs, but the general situation would be the same. Standard procedure would be to check levels at every possible point, check options/preferences in GPO. Buffers and latency must be checked carefully. A good starting point would probably be latency, 50, buffers 512. Make sure you are not providing a feedback path.

Richard
    Well, I am a fellow Mac user (Powerbook G4 667 mhz and 512 mb ram) You have more power than me. The thing I HAVE to do in order to survive with GPO on my little powerbook is to REDUCE the sample rate in GPO STUDIO. I think default is something like 44,000. I reduce mine to 19,200. I know this reduces the quality of the sound somewhat - but it allows me to hear things - and when I need to be at full resolution, I can record a few tracks at a time and compile them together later. I use GPO with Finale and now, TRACKTION - which is FANTASTIC for laptops! It is cheap ($150) and gives you the ability to freeze tracks and such. It is very low in CPU demands and I really like it. The only thing about TRACKTION that I have not been too successful at is using GPO Studio with it - I can use GPO as a VST just fine, but using STUDIO has some quirks I need to work out.

Hope this helps.

Jerry Wickham
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

You're using the same computer I started with GPO - it's underpowered for full orchestrations but with a few fixes you can still manage to get small ensemble things. You may have already done these things but I'll post anyway in case you haven't.

1) Go to your system preferences/energy saver/options and set processor perforrmance to highest.

In Sibelius, under the view menu:

2) click on smoothing and set it to 'none'

3) and set both the paper and desk textures to "use color not texture"

The point of which is to minimize the workload for your cpu & memory.

Also, if you've installed Sibelius 3 with Kontakt Silver things won't work well, if at all. I've seen other posts that contradict this, but I believe they were for PC's.

You may be able to delete Kontakt Silver or might try just turning it off within Sibelius; I had much better results without it, and didn't miss the sounds at all.

With these fixes it was unnecessary to lower the sample rate, which I had tried to no avail. It's all a matter of how much power you have to run things. I can't speak to DP4 as I have it but haven't used it much.

I did have one experience with it that might be relevant to your situation, but you'll have to be the judge of that. I installed DP4 and everything went on the fritz. I called MOTU and the first question from the tech support guy was "Did you repair disk permissions before and after you installed?"

I had no idea what he was talking about but it was already too late and I had to do a complete erase/restore of my computer. When I reinstalled DP4 it worked fine and I now do the "repair disk permissions" thing religiously.

If you need more info post and if any of this helps let the world know.

Good luck

Yesterday working on a orchestral piece I wanted to add a timpani roll. Impossible! Even if I played back only the timp. it started to clip and ay last went silence. Mac and Finale doesn´t seem to be a good combination for GPO. But I suspect it is the slowness of Finale that is the problem. Would be interesting to hear whar the result would be if GPO could be used with the faster 2002.

Björn

Ps. Jerry, I tried reducing the sample rate a while ago. With a tambourin in the piece it was impossible to work with. Sounds like someone is hammering on a car.

Quote Originally Posted by Slandrom
    Ps. Jerry, I tried reducing the sample rate a while ago. With a tambourin in the piece it was impossible to work with. Sounds like someone is hammering on a car.
    Yeah - I know the Glockenspiel and tambourine and other "tinkling" type of sounds loose a great deal of quality when sample rate is reduced. I do it just so I can hear the general sound of things together - when actually recording, I use full resolution and record one track at a time.

What version of Finale are you running?

Finale 2005 is fantastic with GPO - but you still have to deal with hardware limitations with CPU. There are only so many things you can do before you have to look at upgrading hardware - I know, I KNOW! It's easier said than done.

Jerry

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry W.
    What version of Finale are you running?
    With GPO it´s 2005, otherwise mostly 2002. 2002 is much faster than 2005.

Björn

With GPO it´s 2005, otherwise mostly 2002. 2002 is much faster than 2005.

Björn
    I agree - Finale 2002 was SOOOOO much faster. Too bad 2002 isn't compatible with GPO. Finale for OSX has been very very poor at speed. I was hoping that MakeMusic! would have fixed this after their first offering in version 2004. That has been the #1 complaint from EVERYONE on the Finale Forums. I have sometimes worked on a score in 2002 and then imported it into 2004 so I can still use GPO - but even 2004 isn't great with GPO because it looks at volume as a velocity value rather than a mod wheel value - which changed in 2005's human playback. But still - I like working on the older finale for speed's sake. I haven't yet upgraded to 2005. I need to though.

Best of luck though in finding another solution, though. Let me know if you discover something. You are not alone in this, trust me!!

Jerry

My Website!
    New Film Scores!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry W.
    You are not alone in this, trust me!!
    I know. I started a topic around this before Christmas and it was crowded with answers right away.

I was very disappointed with MakeMusic when 2004 came. Thought after so many years that they should redo it from the basic, but no. Allready when the chatastroph 3.0 came out we said that they have to change the basic platform, it was too old. And I believe it´s still the same.

Have also problems with getting things right in Finale. I am not satisfied with the legato (often use CC#21 instead). I also have trcktion, but have problems to get the sounds play back from the studio. Also I haven´t figured out how to use the Ambience reverb in tracktion. As an "oldtime" arranger/composer I want to work against a score, not a sequencer. Still use pen and paper to begin with.

When I get time I will try to make a minimized system on my second harddrive and run GPO on that. Worth a try. At my school I´m now going to buy a PC instead so we can use GPO. It stings in your heart for an old Mac-user.

Björn

Also I haven´t figured out how to use the Ambience reverb in tracktion. As an "oldtime" arranger/composer I want to work against a score, not a sequencer. Still use pen and paper to begin with.
    I agree. I like SEEING what I am working on in notation. I just use the sequencer to make the playback more human and dynamic. Ambience (located in the 4th install CD of GPO) needs to be put in the your computer in this way:
    User (your account) / Library / Audio / Plug-Ins / VST/ Ambience.
    When installed in the VST folder in this way, it will show up in your plug-ins menu in Tracktion.

I have had a hard time getting GPO Studio to work right with Tracktion. But as a VSTi, GPO works well for me. Freezing the tracks makes a BIG difference!

When I get time I will try to make a minimized system on my second harddrive and run GPO on that. Worth a try. At my school I´m now going to buy a PC instead so we can use GPO. It stings in your heart for an old Mac-user.

Björn
    I have considered that path too, but would rather save for a nice big G5!

My Website!
    New Film Scores!

Go Back to forum