• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Why please is it best to have GS on its own machine?

Share/Bookmark

Why please is it best to have GS on its own machine?

Hi,

I\'m custom building Windows XP PC from scratch for Cubase SX and Halion for sequencing and hard disc recording. PC can be configured as needed - any number/size of drives, and amont of ram, etc.

Is there any advantage to making the effort to install Gigasampler on this same PC or is it \"generally\" always better to run GS on a separate machine. And why please?

Thanks,
    Joanne

Re: Why please is it best to have GS on its own machine?

Hi Joanne, obviously dedicating a machine solely to Gigastudio is going to give the best performance but that also means that each machine needs to have a half decent sound card and midi interface (or midioverlan).

I currently run two DAW\'s, the main one has Cubase SX, Kontakt, Gigastudio, and host of other VST\'s. My main machine is an Athlon 2000+ with 1 gig of ram. To lighten the load a bit I have put an Audiophile card into a PIII/550mHz with 446 ram. This is my second machine and solely runs Gigastudio.

To really answer your question though, you certainly can run one machine. Depending on your style of music, and the power of your machine, you will find that you might have to render your tracks to audio sooner than later.

I am surprised at how much my main DAW will handle. Of course, dedicating a seperate drive to samples is also the way to go.

If you have two or more computers, why not do both?

Hope this helps, Scott.

Thanks Scott,

Nothing is ever straight-forward in the land of gigasampler!

If I\'m understanding, you run GS on your main DAW with Cubase. You additionally have GS installed on a second machine. Is giga on your Sequencer PC on its own drive or does it share a drive with something else? What advantage do you acquire by having giga on both machines? Maybe less latency from the giga on the main PC?

Sorry if I am asking the obvious, and thanks,

Oops, double post. [img]graemlins/tounge_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

If I\'m understanding, you run GS on your main DAW with Cubase. You additionally have GS installed on a second machine.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">- that\'s correct. I run two instances of Giga.

Is giga on your Sequencer PC on its own drive or does it share a drive with something else?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">- Giga is on the C: drive along with Cubase and all other apps. I am not aware of any performance gain by sticking the application on its own drive.

I have a Western Star Digital hard drive (with an 8 meg buffer, most drives have a 2 meg buffer) that contains nothing but samples. The performance gain in streaming audio from a seperate drive is huge. So in other words, the application is on a \"shared drive\" (C but the samples that Giga reads are on their own hard drive. (In my case E

What advantage do you acquire by having giga on both machines?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">- just that sometimes a song you are working on becomes so big (especially orchestral) that it is best to spread it across multiple machines.

Some of the pro composers here have a setup something like this;

1. Machine running sequencer/VST\'s
    2. PC/Giga running strings/woodwinds
    3. PC/Giga running brass/percussion

Some have even more computers than that!

The thing to remember, and I didn\'t fully realise this when I started using Giga, is that in Gigastudio you dont just load up a violin patch, horn patch, etc. You are also loading up different articulations of the same instruments. E.g; Horns; staccato, swell, marcato, sustain, etc. Strings; sordino, sustain, spiccatto, pizzicatto

This is when Gigastudio really starts to fill up. Add this to the fact that your sequencer may be running VST\'s and doing effects processing (Effects processing will chew the CPU faster than anything). If you are also composing to picture that is digitised to the hard drive, there is another overhead.

So this is why it is useful to distribute the song across more than one machine.

Maybe less latency from the giga on the main PC?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">- The primary cause of latency is going to be your soundcard and/or midi interface. Giga does an amzing job of streaming a huge amount of samples. Many people get away with PII\'s and PIII\'s as alternate DAW\'s

Sorry if I am asking the obvious, and thanks,
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">- Not obvious at all! I have received a great deal of help and advice from the kind folk here. Just happy to be able to answer questions instead of asking them for a change! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. I spent a lot time researching the best sound cards, the best set-ups, libraries, capture devices, etc. If I can\'t answer someone else surely will.

Regards, Scott.

Hi Scott,

Thanks for all the info and the clear explanations. I\'m just starting the learning curve, and very much appreciate your help.

To your point, since I will be using Gigastudio for large orchestrals, I think I will stick with my original plan to load Gigastudio on its own machine. From what you say, it looks like I may have even two or three machines dedicated to giga. I suppose I should start playing the lottery to fund all this...

Hi Joanne, you can always go for stripped-down, bare bones systems for your extra DAWS.

When I build my third and fourth machines they may not even have a cd rom drive. I will network each machine.

Also, if you run a KVM switch box or remote desktop software you wont need an extra monitor or mouse. You will just need to stick a cheap keyboard on it to at least access the BIOS.

The midiman Audiophile cards are great value as they have midi and sp/dif on them as well as having ASIO and GSIF drivers. THe other thing is that some complain about cheaper cards not having the best AD/DA converters but I actually render the wav files over the network, the sound card is more like a listening device than anything. This means the sounds are always digital even travelling from one DAW to another.

Regards, Scott.

Thanks again for the tips.

One last thing. Midi interfaces are expensive and a source of latency. Many of us are using midi over LAN which will give you 16 midi ports (of 16 midi channels each), both in and out. For the cost of a network card (assuming your PC doesn\'t have a network connection) and $39 for the software and the time to set it up. It\'s cheaper and faster than using dedicated midi ports.

Go to http://www.musiclab.com for more info.

disclaimer, I don\'t work for Musiclab nor will I benefit in any way from discussing their products here. I\'ve used them and they work well.

Steve Chandler
    http://www.mp3.com/stevechandler

i just built my second PC for dirt cheap- a p3-800 asus dual scci dual/ide. using the wavecenter adat to my delta1010 (adat option) . no more pops and clicks i was getting from time to time when recording to logic!! just got the MOL working fine as well.
    hell i might get another one soon!

Go Back to forum