• Register
  • Help

Topic: GS3 Performance w/Rewire+Sonar+1820M?

Share/Bookmark

GS3 Performance w/Rewire+Sonar+1820M?

I'm considering upgrading to GS3 Orch, but I no longer have a GSIF compatible soundcard (EMU 1820M). I know that I can get GS3 to work via ReWire but will I be losing the snapiness of response ? Will the normal limitations of RAM suddenly come into play?

In other words, what am I losing by using ReWire instead of a GSIF card?

Re: GS3 Performance w/Rewire+Sonar+1820M?

I use sonar and gs3 constantly, and rarely go for the speed of rewire because of the loss of note identifications and the limitations to 16 midi chanels. So, that's what you'd lose: 7 of the 8 ports and note names (in rewire, you'd see note number 64 instead of middle C, looking in the sonar event window).

You might want to try the Gigs Vst Adapter.

> "You might want to try the Gigs Vst Adapter."

Details at http://fx-max.com

-JF

Quote Originally Posted by jsaras
    I'm considering upgrading to GS3 Orch, but I no longer have a GSIF compatible soundcard (EMU 1820M). I know that I can get GS3 to work via ReWire but will I be losing the snapiness of response ? Will the normal limitations of RAM suddenly come into play?

In other words, what am I losing by using ReWire instead of a GSIF card?
    If your card is not compatible with GSIF, you should seriously consider Kontakt 2 instead of GS3 Orchestra. It will be released soon, and you will not need a VST adapter to get things working without Rewire.

That's probably a better idea. I don't know if G3 will even install or open if you don't have GSIF drivers-that's a major downfall of E-mu cards.

Quote Originally Posted by kitekrazy
    That's probably a better idea. I don't know if G3 will even install or open if you don't have GSIF drivers-that's a major downfall of E-mu cards.
    GS3 installs without a GSIF soundcard. It then opens and runs in rewire mode. When upgrading my PC I tried it, and it worked fine.

Here's a tip: The M-Audio Revolution 7.1 is now GSIF compatible. It's the cheapest path to four stereo GSIF outputs.

-JF

Go Back to forum