• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: How to transform NOTE ON to NOTE ON with VELOCITY=CC13 value?

Share/Bookmark

How to transform NOTE ON to NOTE ON with VELOCITY=CC13 value?

Hello!
    I am looking for a way to take an incoming NOTE ON message and change its VELOCITY to the current value of Cont. Controller 13 (or whatever CC). I tried to do this in both the Cubase and the MIDIOX programmes but it is not possible.
    Does anybody know of any utility or hardware which would enable me to do this? I would be grateful for any tip.
    Ondrej

Re: How to transform NOTE ON to NOTE ON with VELOCITY=CC13 value?

Velocity isn’t, technically, a cc. What is it you’re trying to do?

Keyboard controllers will transmit the velocity of the played notes. A sequencer will send velocity just the way it would send cc messages.

Well, you are of course right. What I need is to have notes which have velocity depending not on how fast I stike a key but on the value of certain controller.
    Trouble with majority of sample-based synths(and many samples) is that they choose sample to be played according to the velocity value.
    So if you want to imitate a performance of, say, a woodwind instrument and control it solely by certain CC, you can set your keyboard velocity to fixed value but you end up using just one sample. If you don\'t fix the velocity you can still control a tone during its duration but the moment you strike your next key, the notes are totaly out of colour and volume balance. So I am trying to work around this problem.
    Regards
    Ondrej

Ondrej,

a MIDI processing program such as Building Blocks can solve your problem.

A demo version is downloadable from: http://www.midiworld.org/AuReality/products/buildingblocks/buildingblocks.html

Hope it helps,

Giorgio

But you wouldn’t (and couldn’t) use velocity to control a held note. You’d use cc7 (or cc11). Controlling dynamics is a combination of velocity and expression.

Oooops, I am sorry, I wrote a wrong controller number, of course I was talking about expression. But I wrote it was just an example CC.
    Thanks for being awake.
    Cheers
    Ondrej

Ondrej,

I think both Logic and Cubase let you do \'Logical Transform\' to inputs in a way which may suit you. It seems very flexible and lets you transform one type of midi message into another with several modifiers.

Chadwick,
    all my attempts to use Cubase\'s transformer went up in smoke because of the fact that it does not allow to say that an incoming Note On message should get velocity value of certain controller. By the way there is the same problem with MidiOx\'s Data Mapping function. Logic is probably much more soffisticated in this respect but I do not use this program.
    But thanks for your thought.
    Ondrej

Another approach, at least when using Giga, is to modify your gig files with the editor. It\'s not hard at all to make a different controller control what sound is called up.

The downside is that it only works for Giga and you\'d have to edit each instrument that you want to control this way. The upside is that you probably only want this for certain instruments, and you can fully customize them to your tastes.

Sorry Ondrej,

I see your point now. It\'s not so much about converting the cc to a velocity, as it is about replacing the note\'s velocity with the CC.

How about just remapping the samples to the controller from the Giga editor?

Go Back to forum