• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sibelius user needs help with midi

Share/Bookmark

Unhappy Sibelius user needs help with midi

First let me say that though I've diligently studied this midi thing I'm still not sure I know enough about this to ask the right questions. Here goes:
    I only need a midi keyboard to input notes into Sibelius. This Prodikey DM is compact, and fits where I have to work. It appears that the wheel on this is a volume control and not a modulation control (C1). If I had a true midi keyboard with a mod wheel, would Sibelius record the information into the score when I'm recording? Does it matter that I don't have this modulation wheel since I won't be performing but rather am using it to input notes into Sibelius in real time and step time?
    Where else will I miss having a mod wheel?
    Bill

Re: Sibelius user needs help with midi

Quote Originally Posted by bnlsrv
    First let me say that though I've diligently studied this midi thing I'm still not sure I know enough about this to ask the right questions. Here goes:
    I only need a midi keyboard to input notes into Sibelius. This Prodikey DM is compact, and fits where I have to work. It appears that the wheel on this is a volume control and not a modulation control (C1). If I had a true midi keyboard with a mod wheel, would Sibelius record the information into the score when I'm recording? Does it matter that I don't have this modulation wheel since I won't be performing but rather am using it to input notes into Sibelius in real time and step time?
    Where else will I miss having a mod wheel?
    Bill
    Well, I do not have a mod wheel, don't find any problems. But perhaps my work style is different.

I work mostly with piano or organ, which do not need the mod wheel, and even in GPO are velocity sensitive. However, when working with solo instruments and piano, such as trumpet, I use a mapping plug in to map velocity to cc1, but this may only work with a sequencer such as Sonar, where I can also draw in the controller data if I wish.

There is also available a short program to convert midi files for GPO. I don't remember if this works with Sibelius. If your intent in Sibelius is strictly a well notated page, you need not be at all concerned with the mod wheel. If you want a good playing midi file also, then you shouild explore the "Transform Live Playback" feature of Sibelius, which I don't use much, since I use Sonar to play the music, and Sibelius to make a proper score.

Richard

Re: Sibelius user needs help with midi

Thanks Richard. I guess it would be helpful if I knew enough about this midi stuff to know what I need to use to efficiently / quickly enter music. It sounds like at my level of expertise (minimal) I could get by with the Prodikey dm. I don't play well, so I must use a notation software. I believe there's also a playback dictionary in Sibelius that might send controller info to GPO for the various dynamics.
    I was hoping to do more writing vs learning all this tech stuff. Oh well!
    Bill

Go Back to forum