• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Sytrus or Cameleon5000?

Share/Bookmark

Question Sytrus or Cameleon5000?

Hi...
    What do You people would recomend out of this two (Sytrus and Cameleon) for a Matrix Type electronic music (basses, pads, leads etc)...

Re: Sytrus or Cameleon5000?

Are you not considering Native Instruments Reaktor and Absynth? If you read the interviews over on the Native Instruments site with Ben Watkins and Greg Hunter they talk about using them quite extensively on Matrix Reloaded.

Steve

Unhappy Re: Sytrus or Cameleon5000?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rees
    Are you not considering Native Instruments Reaktor and Absynth? If you read the interviews over on the Native Instruments site with Ben Watkins and Greg Hunter they talk about using them quite extensively on Matrix Reloaded.

Steve
    I agree but I forgot to mention: my limit is 200 Euros

if your into sound design then CA5000....if you need lots of quality presets,
    and tweakablity that is affordable try Rhino 2 with the 3rd party sound sets.

Cameleon5000 is a great synth and might be cheaper than Sytrus? I know there was some sort of special pricing going on recently over Christmas.

Cameleon is also apparently a favorite of some film composers (according to camelaudio.com). So it has that in common with Absynth. I think it excels at strange sounds and pad type sounds.

That said, they are both excellent instruments and both sound fabulous. I really like them both.

With Sytrus, you have advanced fm synthesis, a matrix, and I like the filters. There is a new update (1.5) just around the corner.

With Cameleon you have additive synthesis and resynthesis. Resynthesis meaning that you can read in samples and turn them into partials with which you can then play further. To my ears I would say that Cameleon might sound a tad softer? It has that 'additive' sound to it.

I guess I am leaning more towards saying Cameleon. You can grab a demo and check it out for yourself. www.camelaudio.com

BUT wait!!!!!!!!

In case you haven't heard of it, I would also recommend Wusikstation from www.wusik.com. Think of WS as basically like a next generation Wavestation. So you have two wavesequencers to play with and do interesting things. Plus it has a great mod matrix. It's very musical and sounds incredible for a number of uses and types of sounds. I believe it's currently going for $99. And you can grab a demo here:

http://www.wusik.com/index.php?pagep=wusikstation/demo

Wusikstation is different than Cameleon5000, but imho every bit as good. Don't let the low price fool you. Plus it is extremely cpu friendly and efficient.

Either of these three would be excellent choices I think.

I love cameleon, but you need to listen to the mp3 demos and try the demo. I don't think of matrix when I think of it, but I do think of "drama." Cameleon is not like other synths.

Arrow Re: Sytrus or Cameleon5000?

Why don't you check out Albino?

http://www.linplug.com/

Sytrus does sound versatile but I think Albino is fatter sounding.

Nigel

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel W
    Why don't you check out Albino?

http://www.linplug.com/

Sytrus does sound versatile but I think Albino is fatter sounding.

Nigel

Good call on Albino. So you have: fm, additive, sample-based, and analog (and more). You can almost think of Albino as kind of like a virtual virus. More info in addition to linplug can be had from www.robpapen.com

I picked up Albino from East West during one of their sales. So, if you don't need it immediately that would be one thing to keep in mind. Or if you've made purchases at East West before, you probably have some frequent flyer points. So there's another way of getting it cheaper.

Another excellent synth imo is Imposcar from GMedia. You can check pricing on it at jrrshop. And actual synth info at:

http://www.gmediamusic.com/gforce/im.../impOSCar.html

I think all of the synths mentioned thus far (including Rhino) are of high quality.

This type of thread always grows into one which recommends about a dozen different synths doesn't it

Lots of good suggestions already, and I'll also add z3ta+ to the list.

Best bet is download the demos and see which suit you best.

Steve

Thanks to You All for kind responses...
    I'm downloading the demos right now.... but You know... 128 kbits so it goes sloooooow

Go Back to forum