• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: What are your views on John Berry (Dances with Wolves)?

Share/Bookmark

What are your views on John Barry (Dances with Wolves)?

Just interested. Nothing special except I was listening to the sound track last night and said to myself, Self! This guy really portrayed the vast openness of the American frontier with his music. Those big brassy horns were quite effective in giving you that feeling of how huge the country must have felt to the people back then.
    Dagburnit little Joe!

So, where am I going with this? I dunno, most likely to the refrigerator to grab some eats! Then outside to shovel snow and salt the walks. Finished looking for a job this morning. It looks as if I may have to find some other training or start selling body parts!
    Milkyway, what did you think of his score for the movie or didn't you give a rats behind?
    Styxx

Re: What are your views on John Berry (Dances with Wolves)?

I don't know 'Dances with Wolves' off the top of my head, but he also did 'Out of Africa', for which he (deservedly) won an Oscar...a lush, moving work.

'Flying over Africa' is supernal...
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...56768?v=glance

One of my all time favorites.

I think Dances with Wolves was not only a great movie, but the music is full of emotion, I like it!
    DPDAN

Ok, the reason I asked this question is simple. John and I are in collaboration on the music for a new epic adventure, "Dances With Oprah". TaTonka Ohbigishe. Can't give you any details because the de-tails are in the midst of being sewed back on.
    Someone de-tailed all the anskimals for the movie and we have to sew them all back on. So, there, then, those, thises!

Yeah yeah I know I forgot to tell you what it's all about. Real fast ... want me to tell you again?
    No, wait don't go! Seriously, basically it's all about settler women living on the open prairie who attend a talk show and the host gives away brand new covered wagons! But, the twist is all the settlers have to pay taxes in Beeffalo wings in order to keep the wagons. Should be a hit at the box office. I am betting it will out gross Peewee Herman’s Adventure buy about a buck or two.
    All we need is that Banjo add on for GPO and we're set!
    Styxx

I really love the Dances with Wolves music - very influential to James Horners Legends of the Falls (another oscar winner I beleive) - I'm sure Dances with Wolves was used as tempt music

I do remember liking the DWW score when I saw the film years ago- it had that one modulating main motif I still remember. Kind of like the one in the Das Boot score (another good one BTW) but different; more outdoors-y

He also did the wonderfully eccentric score to "The Lion in Winter" in the '60s.

BTW, it's "Barry", not "Berry".

Stevemitchell

I bought Dances with Wolves just a few weeks ago on CD as I hadn;t listened to for about 10 years. I just love it ... you're he captures the frontier atmosphere so well ...

the early part of the soundtrack is unbelievable good ... (but to be honest by three quarters of the way through I am getting a little bored.)

OT: John Barry is my favourite composer. As a 14 year old (about 24 years ago) , my parents gave a compilation of Bond music for my birthday present. At that time no-one else had scored Bond, and a lot of the double album was incidental music not just themes. Defining moment for me.

My favourite piece of Barry's is '007' ... which is NOT the James Bond theme, but some incidental music that first appeared in Thunderball and later on in On Her Majesties. It very rarely appears on Bond compellations now ... but he did play it when he performed at the Albert Hall a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMitchell
    He also did the wonderfully eccentric score to "The Lion in Winter" in the '60s.

BTW, it's "Barry", not "Berry".

Stevemitchell
    Yes Steve you're right but I couldn't change it in the post heading, sorry Mr. Barry, or is it Burry, maybe it's Harry or even Carry? Anyway, sorry Mr. Barry and thanks Stefe for correcting me.
    Styxx

It's interesting. Comparing with scores written by Barry, I hear some of him in the works of Howard Shore (LOTR), and even James Horner.

Stefemitchell

Go Back to forum