• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Solo string libraries: opinions?

Share/Bookmark

Solo string libraries: opinions?

Hi all,

What, in your informed opinions, is the best solo string library out there? At the moment i'm leaning a bit towards VSL Solo Strings (despite the nonsuperlative demo), based on the strength of Dave Stewart's review and on the size (there's got to be something worthwhile in 35 Gb). Any other favorites, new or old?

thanks in advance for the benefit of your counsel!
    -jonny

Re: Solo string libraries: opinions?

Kirk Hunter's a just great, especially considering the price. They are still very valid and useful and I use them all the time. There are enough articulations without being overwhelming and seem to translate well to other platforms, such as EXS.

Jeff

From the Garritan forum, this morning:

Here's a little preview of the new Solo Stradivari violin - http://www.garritan.com/mp3/StradivariLarge.mov

Wow, thanks to all for some seriously early bird replies!

Donimon-
    How does the Kirk Hunter library handle swells and other sustains with dynamic change (if at all)? If not, can one convincingly tweak out a homemade solution?

Lee-
    as a former cellist, i realize how hard it is to cram all that detail and endless tonal flexibility into a sample set. I was more referring to VSL's choicemaking as far as the demo itself: Death and the Maiden? A little too marchy to be able to really show off with, in my opinion. Which would be fine, except that it's the only demo available. And it's streamed at a low bitrate (i hope!). Taking the 5-star Sound on Sound review of the library as evidence of its strength, i just wonder whether they really put the best possible foot forward with the demo.

FredProg-
    Extremely impressive. What do you wanna bet that that set is going to weigh in at 150GB and $5000?

I have VSL solo strings (my only VSL library) and I like them a lot. But they are pricey.

Kirk's offer the bast value undoubtedly, IMHO ... even though I don't own it.

Composers Choice are a little known library producer that gave away a really nice solo violin patch with GS3 Orchestra. A lot of people have commented how much they liked it. However they only do violin's, and each solo violin is about $99 (if I recall correctly).

You might consider Synful too, which has been much discussed in recent weeks.

... but like Lee suggests wait until NAMM.

Quote Originally Posted by jloeb
    FredProg-
    Extremely impressive. What do you wanna bet that that set is going to weigh in at 150GB and $5000?
    Nah, knowing Gary, I couldn't really see this thing coming in at more than around the $500 area.
    Tim

> "What do you wanna bet that that set is going to weigh in at 150GB and $5000?"

I'll take that bet, sir. Please buy me a copy of the lib when it ships at well under $5k.

I expect that the sample size will be substantial, but not overly large by today's standards. It may take a fair amount of CPU for the real-time processing though.

We will see. Send me a PM for my shipping address.

-JF

Wow, thanks to all for some seriously early bird replies!

Donimon-
    How does the Kirk Hunter library handle swells and other sustains with dynamic change (if at all)? If not, can one convincingly tweak out a homemade solution?

Lee-
    as a former cellist, i realize how hard it is to cram all that detail and endless tonal flexibility into a sample set. I was more referring to VSL's choicemaking as far as the demo itself: Death and the Maiden? A little too marchy to be able to really show off with, in my opinion. Which would be fine, except that it's the only demo available. And it's streamed at a low bitrate (i hope!). Taking the 5-star Sound on Sound review of the library as evidence of its strength, i just wonder whether they really put the best possible foot forward with the demo.
    As someone who knows the Death and the Maiden quartet quite well, I have to say the VSL strings rendition is very good - I didn't believe it would be possible to make such convincing and usable sample libraries of solo strings. I also got the chance to try them out a while back, and I can say they are very impressive - the portamento and legato features are downright astonishing.

Quote Originally Posted by jc5
    As someone who knows the Death and the Maiden quartet quite well, I have to say the VSL strings rendition is very good - I didn't believe it would be possible to make such convincing and usable sample libraries of solo strings. I also got the chance to try them out a while back, and I can say they are very impressive - the portamento and legato features are downright astonishing.
    jc5 - tell me more. How are the porta/legato features implemented? Do you think these would be possible to import robustly into another format (MachFive in my case)?

Post Re: Solo string libraries: opinions?

Hi all,

What, in your informed opinions, is the best solo string library out there? At the moment i'm leaning a bit towards VSL Solo Strings (despite the nonsuperlative demo), based on the strength of Dave Stewart's review and on the size (there's got to be something worthwhile in 35 Gb). Any other favorites, new or old?

thanks in advance for the benefit of your counsel!
    -jonny
    The VSL Solo Strings are by far the most playable and realistic sounding I've personally heard. The Legato Performances are stunning and worth the price of admission by themselves.

I highly recommend this package.

Kaveh

www.kavehcohen.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast