• Register
  • Help

Topic: Ravel: Pavane.....

Share/Bookmark

Ravel: Pavane.....

OK. This is a rough draft, but I'm so excited after actually semi-completing something in 45 days. (I took Christmas and New Years off). It's the Pavane by Ravel. Reinhold Behringer sequenced this work way back in 1998, and AT THAT TIME sent me a .WAV file of the result! Wow, could he predict the future or what? He gave me his blessing on this one.

One minor quibble, I'm sorry that I don't agree with Reinhold's metering here - in the original sequence he seems to hold to the belief and utter obedience to Ravel's statement that "I wrote a Pavane for a Dead Princess, not a dead pavane for a princess." I OTOH, have included retards and such, though it's not complete - it's still TOO fast in some spots. My brother, the horn player (as well as Dad) said the horn was "close", so that makes me feel "ok".

There is more work to it, but it's very useful to get opinions, and of course fun too!

http://www.classicalmidiresource.com...est/pavane.mp3

Stefemitchell

Re: Ravel: Pavane.....

Very nice, Steve. I agree about the timing - it does seem a little too fast for me in spots.

As coincidence would have it, a CD of that very piece is in my car and I've been listening to it over and over again in my morning commute! I am looking to find a score for the piece and to give it a go myself. I just LOVE the voicings and textures he creates in the piece and your attempt is a very good start!

Mark

Thumbs up Re: Ravel: Pavane.....

Ah, Ravel...Pavane. Nice to hear someone actually doing a fine job of with this piece. (any room for Bolero?)
    Yes, I do agree as well with the tempo, a little on the fast side but not so that it damages the overall texture of the piece.
    Thanks for sharing. A fine job indeed!
    Styxx

I sneaked the latest version in here. I think that's all I'm going to do with it. The rabbit paces were slain and more reasonable interpretations inserted. Enjoy

Stefemitchell

Steve,

For MY taste, you nailed it! Very expressive, and the timing rocks for me! GREAT job!!!

Re: Ravel: Pavane.....score

I am looking to find a score for the piece MCDOMA2000
    --------------------------------------------------

You can buy the conductors score from http://store.doverpublications.com

Look under scores/orchestral
    The volume comes with some of his other works at about $12.00
    I have a score and set of parts for the original 1st French edition.

Downloading your effort now

Paul O
    Windows XP-pro SP2, Pentium 4
    3.4 GHz, 2GB RAM
    GPO & Finale 2005b.r1

Music is moral law. It gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness and a gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order and leads to all that is good, true and beautiful. -- Plato

You actually did a magnificent job and I applaud your obvious sensitivity to this music. What a terrific job.

I have 23 recordings of it and the fastest is Bernstein and the slowest by Herbert Von Karajan with the Berlin Philharmonic.

Hang in their my man - you're doing just fine.

Paul R Ouzts
    Houston
    3.4 GHz, 2GB RAM
    GPO & Finale 2005b.r1

Music is moral law. It gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness and a gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order and leads to all that is good, true and beautiful. -- Plato

Well, what can I say. Someone sent me some very constructive email privately. I took his suggestions to heart, and now with this new version, I really feel better about this work overall.

Stefemitchell

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMitchell
    Well, what can I say. Someone sent me some very constructive email privately. I took his suggestions to heart, and now with this new version, I really feel better about this work overall.

Stefemitchell
    ---------------------------------------------------------

This is the one to keep. P E R F E C T

Eat your heart out Von Karajan.

Paul O
    3.4 GHz, 2GB RAM
    GPO & Finale 2005b.r1

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMitchell

Stefemitchell
    A very sensitive job. And a very convincing "mock-up" if you don't mind my using that term.
    ~Rudy
    helmproductions.com
    =====================
    Rock-a-doodle-doooo!!

Go Back to forum