• Register
  • Help

Topic: Smooth Bow Reversal on Solo Stradivari

Share/Bookmark

Smooth Bow Reversal on Solo Stradivari

For most subdued legato passages, I prefer the timbre and vibrato of the Stradivari But then on long sustains, it breaks quite a bit more audibly than one of the others (Gagliano or Guarneri - can't remember which).

I realize a real player has to change bow direction at some point, and I can force when the bow reverses direction by cutting the long sustains into several shorter notes back-to-back, but then it still seems choppier than a real player.

I know I want a lot for 250 bucks, but can anyone offer a tip or technique for making the bow reversal sound smoother on the Stradivari?

Re: Smooth Bow Reversal on Solo Stradivari

Well, I'm no expert, and I've never tried this before, so I'm just throwing out ideas.

I would try maybe the sustain pedal. It could smothen (is that a word?) things up a bit.
    I'm a string player, so when I encounter a long sustain, I lighten up on the bow pressure tward the end of the bow and then abruptly change directions. In order to simulate that, you could ease up on the modulation tward the end of the bow and then use a light velocity (or even use the sustain pedal) and ease back into your origional volume. If I were you, I wouldn't go down more than 15 mod values. (did I say that right?)
    Again, I'm just throwing ideas out as they pop into my head here.
    But if I were you I would try to simulate the lighter bow tward the tip and ease back into your origional volume.

I hope this helps,
    Chris

Go Back to forum