• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: 64 bit Windows Professional free beta

Share/Bookmark

64 bit Windows Professional free beta

I am downloading the free Windows Professional 64 bit beta for AMD 64, as we speak. Cakewalk is offering a free alpha of Sonar 4PE 64 bit. Go to www.kvraudio.com for more info. What a crazy day!!
    Don't look at me for help, I'm a Guitar Player.

Re: 64 bit Windows Professional free beta

M-Audio has many 64-bit drivers. Cool.

-JF

Unhappy Re: 64 bit Windows Professional free beta

This version of Windows has a lot of bugs, I cant even get the M-audio drivers to work. I wouldn't recomend it unless you really know what you are doing. I've got a long night ahead of me

Does anyone know if GS3 would be able to take advantage of more memory using this new 64 bit alpha Win OS?

Quote Originally Posted by John L.
    This version of Windows has a lot of bugs, I cant even get the M-audio drivers to work. I wouldn't recomend it unless you really know what you are doing. I've got a long night ahead of me
    Why not just wait for the real thing?? Last I saw in the press, it was shipping sometime in the 1st half of '05..... haven't seen anything about it lately...

I assume you'll need a 64-bit processor to get 64-bit memory access, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Batzdorf
    I assume you'll need a 64-bit processor to get 64-bit memory access, right?
    You said it.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Certainly anyone who CAN run some of this stuff would benefit the companies who are working to produce it...they need early guinea-pigs. Don't put it on a production machine, for sure.

But it's risky to run a beta OS. You're not going to benefit unless the software is written for it, and a beta OS can really break your heart.

Not to be discouraging at all, but don't put yourself in a heap of misery expecting to benefit at this juncture. Everything available right now is going to be early, early software on top of a buggy OS. So, just go into it knowing you're performing a noble deed, not getting some amazing boost in capability.

What I have heard so far is that there is definitely some DSP benefit to be gained, although how much benefit is still being determined. Obviously the nut for samplers is the available ram-addressing space to be gained. For DAW apps, probably only the DSP-bandwidth gains really mean much. There's not so much need for addressing huge amounts of RAM in a DAW.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce A. Richardson
    There's not so much need for addressing huge amounts of RAM in a DAW.
    How do you figure that?

I only have 1 gig (all my current mb supports) and I can only load one instance of Gold with sometimes all 8 slots filled before I run out of ram. I look forward to having 16 gig of ram soon so I can load all the instruments and effects I want and run GigaStudio at the same time.

Also I do animation and graphics as a freelancer and I need all the ram I can get for that. I could easily load enough stuff at once to run out with even 16 gig.

Cheers,
    JS

Red face Re: 64 bit Windows Professional free beta

I set this up on an AMD64 laptop and found out that any device that did not have a 64 bit driver did not work. That included my built in wireless internet, and printer. What really puzzles me is my M-audio FW410. I tried all of their drivers 64 bit, 32 bit, nothing works. So I deleted the Windows 64bit OS and opened a new can of worms, Internet explorer stopped working, some kind of
    error saying that it wasn't 32 bit, same thing for outlook express, they were both 64 bit versions, and you can't uninstall them, It's a good thing I just recently installed the Firefox Mozilla web-browser, and that worked, and Incredimail which worked fine. Then had to change the boot .ini file because it was booting up with two operating systems, and on the start-up screen you had to choose which one you wanted (windows 64 or windows xp) Everything else works but the M-audio the drivers just get lost somewhere.
    Oh well,
    Back to the drawingboard

Go Back to forum