• Register
  • Help

Topic: Cult Sanmpler is great!!!!

Share/Bookmark

Thumbs up Cult Sanmpler is great!!!!

I bought Cult Sampler during the Sounds On Line sale this past Christmas(along with the Bosendorfer 290, Artist Drums, and Hard Core Bass) and I absolutely love it!!!! I used to drool over the Synclavier, Fairlight, EIII, etc. Machines that cost lterally hundreds of thousands of dollars are here in all their glory. Cool drum sounds, wavestation pads, funky robot voices, and some really cruddy 8 bit, badly looped Orchestron samples.

It's hard to believe how expensive these machines were consideing how "unrealistic" they sound today. The orchetral sounds are definitely poor compared to GPO, Silver and the rest. But their is such a character to some of these old sounds that you don't hear in the newer synths. By far this is the coolest VST I have bought in a long time.

All the very best,

Darren

Re: Cult Sanmpler is great!!!!

Oh man, I love those sounds too! Good heads-up; I'll check this one out.

"It's hard to believe how expensive these machines were consideing how "unrealistic" they sound today. The orchetral sounds are definitely poor compared to GPO, Silver and the rest."

You've struck a nerve, maybe this will help your perspective:

If I remember right the 32 KB dynamic RAM card for my 6800 based SWTP computer was around $300. If my calculations are correct that means it cost $827 per second of monophonic 44.1khz/16 bit sound.

At $4,800,000 for the minimum 512 megs of memory I think we can rule out Gigastudio3 orchestra ... what do you think?

Ernie

Ernie,

Your talking to a guy who paid $75 canadian dollars for a blank 3.5 inch Ensoniq Mirage pre-formatted floppy. (I also re-mortgaged my house to buy a used 10 mhz Silicon graphics Personal Iris with 16 megs of ram and a 300 meg HD and bare bones 3D animation software for $20,000. Later on I upgraded the processor to a 17 mhz "turbo" version for another $1000)

I know the pains of technology ; )

Darren

Ok, so, out of curiosity, if you have grown up with technology, what don't you understand about the expense and "inadequacies" (which weren't at the time) of the older computer based instruments?

I'm puzzled, there seems to be a disconnect here somewhere but I'm trying to understand your thinking.

Ernie

When we built the original Sequencer Plus (DOS) in 1984-85, we used 8MHz 8088 PCs (8-bit bus to memory), with two quad-density floppy drives. No hard drive. We had to swap floppies three or four times to do the edit-compile-link-debug dance.

After a year of that, our boss sprang for three 10 megabyte hard drives. $3000 apiece, and soft-oxide disk platters that developed permanent bad sectors if you looked at them sideways (or if the software crashed while debugging, or if you forgot to park the heads before powering off....).

We were so glad to get those 10 meg drives, though.....
    Think about what $3K will buy these days.

- Jim

Quote Originally Posted by ohernie
    Ok, so, out of curiosity, if you have grown up with technology, what don't you understand about the expense and "inadequacies" (which weren't at the time) of the older computer based instruments?

I'm puzzled, there seems to be a disconnect here somewhere but I'm trying to understand your thinking.

Ernie

Ernie,

I was only commenting on what you got "sonically speaking" for around a quarter million vs what you get now-a-days for next to nothing. Even if you bought everything EWQL sells and the hardware to run it you wouldn't come close to the price. And you'd sure sound a heck of a lot better.

Darren

Go Back to forum