• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Dances With Wolves -

Share/Bookmark

Dances With Wolves -

Here is my first mimic up for demolition!
    From Dances With Wolves, "Two Socks - The Wolves Theme". I am a great admirer of John Barry and lover of his music. Just for grins, this was done using Acid 5.0, all GPO, with just a few edits in Cubase SE. I am not well versed at mixing as you can plainly hear. My attempt was to satisfy the need to try something different from my usual evening work.
    I will say I haven't a clue as to how to line up the instruments better for a more effective downbeat. I am sure after doing this piece that I am in great need of a new controller and soundcard. Latency is still a big problem. Be that it may, this isn't perfect but nevertheless, I am learning.
    I would greatly appreciate critiques especially from those of you who have excellent knowledge of mixing and orchestration with midi.
    Oh, BTW - I did this all by ear, no score. Ouch, my freakin ear!

http://www.twinzzapstudio21.com/Demo...SocksTheme.mp3
    Styxx

Re: Dances With Wolves -

ok my turn

how's your ear?

Maybe use a much shorter reverb time or smaller room. I don't know what kind of reverb you are using so I don't know which setting you can change. It sounds good! The long bassy reverb time is causing bass notes from resolving when they should. The only other thing that was noticeable, was some of the Oboe's notes have excessive attack (velocity), if those notes were tamed a bit to match the others the piece would be more beautiful, not that it isn't already,, also the flute goes a long long time on one breath, and the Clarinet has a few really loud "E" notes at 1:03 and 1:08.
    Good job sir! I love to hear other peoples "all ear" work.

pickey DPDAN

Nice job, Mikey! Very smooth and pretty. The flute and oboe are outstanding. I have nothing critical to say about this. Good work!

Regards,

Larry A.

Thumbs up Re: Dances With Wolves -

DPDAN, You're right about the oboe. As much as I've tried to tame some of the notes down in velocity, it just never seems right. As for the flute, in the original I was surprised to hear such a long note especially in the beginning. I'll try to fool with the reverb more. There is another version I'll post and replace this one with. A few things I noticed in Cubase that will control the presence of each midi track and the effects there in. I'm not making any sense am I? Then again, nothing make sense to me anyway!
    Thanks for the kind woids.
    PS - No clar of nets in there. Oh, and I put my reverb in a smaller room, the closet.

Larry, thanks for listening. Chewmoni Tatonka Owachee!
    Styxx

I just played this back at work through my laptop. Half the instruments seem to be missing for example the drums in the intro. I was wondering if that is so with you that they are not audible? Not to mention the reverb IS way to saturated? I was trying to emulate the same as the original recording. I guess you have to be there in the same hall.
    Danielle, I was thinking the other evening about this whole movie Hollywood thingy. Primarily, if the Great Masters were alive today I feel they would be writing for television and motion picture as well because that's a good source of work if one is successful in breaking into the field. Just as writing for the church and becoming employed by the church was a goal of most of the great composers. Whatever right?
    You listening to whatever I do is greatly appreciated.
    Styxx

Hey Styxx - I would be very interested to know about your ensemble building in this piece...specifically strings.

Very nice work. I really enjoyed this!

Quote Originally Posted by ELP71
    Hey Styxx - I would be very interested to know about your ensemble building in this piece...specifically strings.

Very nice work. I really enjoyed this!
    Sure, but I take no credit for what I have learned through Danielle's tutorial.
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    I just played this back at work through my laptop. Half the instruments seem to be missing for example the drums in the intro. I was wondering if that is so with you that they are not audible? <edit>....
    Hey Mike, the only drums I hear is very faint bass drum at the beginning. Were there other drums to be heard? Is that what you mean? I am listening to it thru high end speakers.

Been a long time since I heard DWW music so I can't say whether you 'nailed' it or not, but I'm impressed you did this by ear...and my ears like what they hear!
    ~Rudy
    helmproductions.com
    =====================
    Rock-a-doodle-doooo!!

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    PS - No clar of nets in there
    that was a boo boo on my part, I meant Oboe.

I'm glad you were not offended. It's a really cool work!

DPDAN

This is very lovely Mikey baby! It's the sort of thing I could easily do myself.....if I had your skills!

You've produced a lot of nice stuff over this last year. Keep it up; you old poster you!

Frank

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast