• Register
  • Help

Topic: Best internal hard drive for Mac

Best internal hard drive for Mac

Which is the better internal hard drive for a Mac G5 - Maxtor or Seagate and 160 or 200Gb?

Re: Best internal hard drive for Mac

Seagates have high quality and are quieter than the Maxtors. Both should work fine in a Mac. I'm a PC guy though...

Jon - Thanks for the reply. In your experience what are you really looking for in a hard drive that houses only samples (that's what I'll be putting on it - Gold and other samples). Is it burst speed, faster read times, drain on the CPU? I've read a couple of comparison reiews and the Seagate seems to come out on top in certain aspects but not burst speed or drain on the CPU

Seek times are the main thing, but quiet operation is my top requirement. I'd rather put two quiet, slower drives into a RAID than use one noisy fast drive.

But that's just me.

Lee - Yes I just looked at some of the new Seagate 7200.8 drives - some reviews say they perform as well as 10,000 RPM drives, although they only spin at 7200 RPM. As far as I can tell, in the UK they range from 250 - 400GB. A 250Gb 7200.8 drive is £110 at Dabs.com (UK pricing). At Pixelmania they now have Seagate Barracuda 7200 and Maxtor DiamondPlus 9 drives on as 'clearance items'. 7200.7 looks like it's hit the buffers.

Go Back to forum