• Register
  • Help

Topic: Best drums for country

Share/Bookmark

Best drums for country

I use Purrrfect Drums as a good all around drum library now. No real complaints, except the snare can be a little harsh, but it works well with many different genres...

I have a nice collection of loops, but they seem to be lacking in laid back, simple country stuff.

I need a good sidestick, and the snare with a low, muffled thud like sound. BFD looks nice, as does Scarbee's Imperial Drums, but both are expensive and a bit of an overkill for my needs. Midi files or loops with that laid back sound...side stick switching to snare on the chorus and hi hat switching to ride at times would be great.

Any suggestions?

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: Best drums for country

Larry Seyer Acoustic Drums is extremely nice.

Check out Sonic Implants Blue Jay series drums. They sound very good IMHO. They are only about 30 bucks a set and you can download them now in different formats.
    Don't look at me for help, I'm a Guitar Player.

Country music is bad and you should stop playing it right now...

"SIR, STEP AWAY FROM THE PEDAL STEEL GUITAR AND PUT YOUR HANDS IN THE AIR!!!"

Did I see you reach for that dobro?????!!!!!!

Country music only leads to things like line dancing and bad lyrics. For instance:

1) Sleeping Single in a Double Bed

2) Cheap Whisky and Cheaper Women (I made this up, see how easy it is to be bad?)

3) Pickup truck dun broke down

Go out and buy some Gershwin or some Blink 182. You can be cured....

; )

Quote Originally Posted by John L.
    Check out Sonic Implants Blue Jay series drums. They sound very good IMHO. They are only about 30 bucks a set and you can download them now in different formats.
    Blue Jay is GREAT for country- fat snares and loud side sticks. The toms might be a bit heavy though- you might want to mix'n'match a bit. But kick and snare- perfect.

Just produce a track for a 'your truck ran over my dog' artist and backbeat (SAGE)/ RMX worked great (and fast).

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

Thumbs up Re: Best drums for country

Thanks for the replies...

I checked out Blue Jay, and indeed it does sound good. No country demos, but it comes close to the sound I want (and price I'm willing to pay )

I use DFH Superior for all my country demos/ productions without complaint (from myself or the artists involved). Most of the session drummers here in Nashville are using tight, pop oriented sounds now, although the "traditional" sounds are needed from time to time. Most of those guys on the "big" records are fantastic "muse-o's" as well, having backgrounds in the jazz, r&b, rock, funk, etc. worlds. Country by day to make a living and all other genres at night for personal "feeding."

Hope this helps...

By the way, I absolutely hate "most" country from a production standpoint, but there are some ridiculously clever lyrics (not necessarily what you're currently hearing on the radio.... yuck!) that are full of twists and "looking-at-the-other-side-of-the-glass." I finally took some serious listens several years ago and was blown away. I'd be willing to offer a few titles to check out, if any are interested.

I use DFHS myself and I love it. The sidesticks are as hard to mix as on real drums though- you almost have to trigger a sperate sound like you often would with a real kit. Plus it's not really fast to use. or cheap. It's as realistic as you can get though, IMO.

Go Back to forum