• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT anyone know XP and boot options?

Share/Bookmark

Question OT anyone know XP and boot options?

This is totally off the subject but... I needs some he'p. I have 3 hardrives. One has nothing but samples on it. The second and the third both have Windows XP on them. What I'd like to do (in theory) is have a choice at bootup which harddrive I'd like to use. One hd has all the usual internet, microsoft office crap, etc. on it (my wife's). The other strictly has music programs on it (mine).
    I know there is a way to have at bootup; a choice, but I can't figure it out. I don't see any options on the motherboard either. Any suggestions?
    I think a favorite gag in medival times was to sneak up behind a Knight and stick a "kick me" sign on his armor with a magnet.

Re: OT anyone know XP and boot options?

You should be able to select the boot drive in the bios.
    I believe the dual boot options in Windows only apply if both OSs are installed on the same C: drive.

Cheers,
    JS

While you can edit boot.ini to allow multi-boot, I prefer to go into the bios to select which drive to boot from. It's simple as can be, and never runs into any windows limitations or quirks.

BTW, the following is an example of boot.ini for loading XP as the default and 2000 as the second option. In this case the OSs are on different partitions. I believe that for two different disks you would set both partitions to "1", and one of the disk entries to "0" and the other to "1". I think it's "rdisk" that gets updated, but I'm not sure. It' might be "disk".

Oh well. This will at least give you something to google!

[boot loader]
    timeout=5
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Microso ft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

-JF

Hey guys thanks. Yeah, I could go to bios everytime but that would be kind of a pain. Jon, you seem to be the Windows-wizard in these here parts and I think I'll fiddle with it. If I screw up though (say if it's not "rdisk") will I then have a non-bootable windows? Yikes! That would suck. Thanks again you two!
    I think a favorite gag in medival times was to sneak up behind a Knight and stick a "kick me" sign on his armor with a magnet.

Yes be careful with that file. If it gets screwed up you won't be able to boot.
    Make a Windows boot disk (Rescue disk) floppy first. Then copy your current boot.ini to the rescue floppy in case you need to restore it later.

Cheers,
    JS

I have two drives and multiple partitions. I have XP on one for music and everything else. I have W2k, for Engineering software, on an other booting partition. Partitions are like separate hard drives. Windows automatically gives you a choice of which you would like to boot into when you boot up. You just use the up/down arrows and hit the return key. I certainly couldn't be arsed to go into the Bios everytime and change the boot up drive......most inconvenient.

I am actually considering ditching this system and going over to hard disk caddies, or maybe a combination of what I have now and caddies. This way you have a Music boot up hard disk and other ones too....including a backup one perhaps. A recent SOS magazine had an article on this with respect to portability. You may also like to consider this.

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by joshj
    Hey guys thanks. Yeah, I could go to bios everytime but that would be kind of a pain. Jon, you seem to be the Windows-wizard in these here parts and I think I'll fiddle with it. If I screw up though (say if it's not "rdisk") will I then have a non-bootable windows? Yikes! That would suck. Thanks again you two!
    Yes, the boot.ini file is the one that lets you choose between multiple bootable partitions (no matter which drives they are on). So, your ideal solution is to figure out *exactly* what needs to be in your boot.ini before starting to mess around with it. It's completely true that you can make your system non-bootable by messing up this file. Even that problem is not too hard to fix, as long as you have a copy of the *original* boot.ini saved on another machine (or multiple copies saved on floppy.... floppies have an odd way of becoming corrupted just when you need them most).

Find a resource that lets you figure out *exactly* what changes you need to make to boot.ini, give yourself a solid "recovery" path to guard against mistakes, and you'll be fine. We'll help out....

To be honest, I'd still use the bios. In the case where you are using the last boot configuration, it's faster. The boot.ini option always has a delay to ask which one you want to use. Sure, the bios has a few more keystrokes when you change over, but it remembers the last state, which can be nice. And, there's no risk of corruption. If one of your disk fails, just boot from the other one, and you can then easily troubleshoot the situation.

-JF

...anyone know XP and boot options?

No, but if you hum a few bars I can fake it!

(hey, someone was going to do it sooner or later. I'm sorry, I'll go away now...)

Talking Re: OT anyone know XP and boot options?

Har har Fred... ) Actually Jon was on the money about the "rdisk" works great! Unfortunately, through an EXTREMELY lame mistake (I don't even wanna say) I had to completely wipe my harddrive and I just reinstalled Windows. Oh well. I like the boot.ini function though!

Go Back to forum