• Register
  • Help

Topic: weird flanger-like-effect on strings

Share/Bookmark

weird flanger-like-effect on strings

Hi!

This weird flanger-like-effect appears in my strings. I have 8 1st violins, 6 2nd violins and more stuff, but the problem appears if I play solo with only 1st violins. I'm not sure if it happens with other instruments as well. I have posted an mp3-export of the strings together and the Cubase-file:

www.lbi-digital.com/musiikki/flanger-strings.mp3
    www.lbi-digital.com/musiikki/flanger-strings.cpr

Are you hearing the same or is some hardware-issue? I really don't remember this happening before. I have installed and reinstalled and done some stuff with the updates after using this last time. Could that cause this?

Re: weird flanger-like-effect on strings

Quote Originally Posted by karvasika
    Hi!

This weird flanger-like-effect appears in my strings. I have 8 1st violins, 6 2nd violins and more stuff, but the problem appears if I play solo with only 1st violins. I'm not sure if it happens with other instruments as well. I have posted an mp3-export of the strings together and the Cubase-file:

www.lbi-digital.com/musiikki/flanger-strings.mp3
    www.lbi-digital.com/musiikki/flanger-strings.cpr

Are you hearing the same or is some hardware-issue? I really don't remember this happening before. I have installed and reinstalled and done some stuff with the updates after using this last time. Could that cause this?
    Are you using completely different "players?"for each first violin and each second violin? i.e. Ensemble building? If any of them share the same sample source (2 players playing Violin 1 Gagliano player1,, for example), phasing will occur which gives you the "flanger" effect.

My first guess would be to look and make sure you are not having any of your players share the same sample.

Otherwise - I won't be much help.

Jerry
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Seems like you are doubling up on the same sample set and maybe getting phase cancellation. You must use different PLR 9or ENS) instruments and you should be fine. After the NAMM show Tom or I can write more about this.

Gary Garitan

This does not directly answer your point, as Jerry says - if you look in the manual it says don't use plr (er ens in old version) instruments with the solo it is made up from so eg if you have:
    vln guarn plr (or ens) 1
    vln guarn plr (or ens) 2
    vln guarn plr (or ens) 3
    you should not use at the same time and/or on the same notes:
    vln guarn solo

You can get away with it if the solo is playing different notes to the ens players, but they will phase if playing the same notes.

This may not be what you are doing of course because I think you say you get the problem with a SOLO violin playing with a SECTION STRING? Can't read your Cubase file to have a closer look sorry.

Go Back to forum