• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GPO or EWQLSO?

Share/Bookmark

GPO or EWQLSO?

Hello all,

New to these forums and, indeed GPO, I would like to know peoples' opinions on GPO Vs EWQLSO. I don't want to start an argument, but would just like to know which is the best for a beginner, even though I have ordered GPO already! Music by all users of each software sounds awesome, but what are the pros and cons of each? Which is easiest to use? GPO seems to be my favorite at the moment. Comments would be appreciated

Thanks,

Kin

Re: GPO or EWQLSO?

Quote Originally Posted by Kinvint
    Hello all,

New to these forums and, indeed GPO, I would like to know peoples' opinions on GPO Vs EWQLSO. I don't want to start an argument, but would just like to know which is the best for a beginner, even though I have ordered GPO already! Music by all users of each software sounds awesome, but what are the pros and cons of each? Which is easiest to use? GPO seems to be my favorite at the moment. Comments would be appreciated

Thanks,

Kin
    I think if you do a search here, you will find what you are lookihg for.

Richard

Thumbs up Re: GPO or EWQLSO?

I can only say that If You can - go both.

GPO has the benefit of playback through scoring programs such as Sibelius and Finale. It has 8 stand-alone players. EWQLSO has only one.

The sound is of course subjective. As this is a Garritan board, you're likely to get favorable comments about GPO. Check out comments on the East West board for EWQLSO Silver. Gold is 4 times the price of GPO so it's not fair to compare the two. Silver is in the same price range.

One really cool thing about GPO is that there is an upgrade path to VSL series.

Both programs will allow the composer to get some amaxing results. I myself am looking forward to Gary's Jazz Orchestra library! Oh, and the Strad Violin too!!!

Hi Kin, and welcome to GPO.

I don't have any experience of EWQLSO, so cannot comment on it. However, what I love about GPO is that it's so easy to use. However you enter your ideas, keyboard, notation program or mouse, you can quickly see what works and what doesn't. If you spend a little more time and effort you can make GPO sound like a library that costs a good deal more.

Good luck with GPO and we'll be interested to see how you get on.

David

In my opinion, get both if you can afford it. I have EWQLSO Gold. I also have GPO and GOS Lite. EWQLSO has a big ambient, bright sound. If I want instant Hollywood, EWQLSO is great. For more intimate, classical, warm sound, GPO...and the expressive control of GPO is easier to manipulate in my experience. There are instruments in GPO not found in EWQLSO, and the ensemble-building is unique as well. You can't lose...this is all great stuff....if money is tight, start with GPO, then consider EWQLSO Silver or Gold later on.

you should have bought the Gold witht the group buy I was considering GPO or silver then...poof $400 Gold...i was there in a heart beat

Ok, thanks all for your advice and constructive comments. I have just handed over my $$$ to a vendor for GPO. Since I am a beginner, I figured this would be a great place to start. If I find that I need more later on, and GPO doesn't have it, then I might just add EWSO Gold to the collection

Regards to all,

Kin

Hm. Well, I've tried both and I personally like GPO better. EWQLSO has sort of a big bright sound to it which is cool for doing Hollywood style or game music. GPO tends to sound a bit more realistic, though.

I have had GPO for a year now, and EWQLSO Gold for a few weeks.

I find myself using GPO a lot more, especially in the brainstorming/scratching out ideas part of the process. In general I find GPO better for concert music. Very musical MOD wheel dynamics make every instrument extremely playable and consistent. Crescendos and decrescendos sound very fluid and natural in GPO, which makes possible very subtle nuances of phrasing and dynamics (and don't forget the legato and bowing functions, which add to the nuance). It's simpler and more musical right out of the box.

I don't mean to seem biased towards GPO. If I were a full-time composer for commercial purposes (film/TV/video games), and my composing time were more about *production*--that is, recording and producing a realistic-sounding demo--I would probably prefer EWQL in most cases. Producers, recording engineers, etc. tend to go with EWQL. But I am more interested in the craft of composing, and my goal is ultimately to create a score for live performers to play. GPO allows me to compose without all the impediments of working with a massive library of samples.

I do a little of both, so I'm glad to have both libraries. Both are awesome in their own way, and both are very useful and realistic sounding.

If you're deciding between GPO and Silver, I'd go with GPO hands down. If you're deciding between GPO and Gold, then it's a tough call--consider the pros and cons I've mentioned (quite a testament to GPO that you can be on the fence between a $250 library and a $1000 library!). If you are deciding between GPO and Platinum (and have the budget and computer power for the latter), then go with Platinum--there's a reason it's $3000.

Good luck,
    chris.

Go Back to forum