• Register
  • Help

Topic: Question about accurate midi files of Masters

Share/Bookmark

Question about accurate midi files of Masters

I would like to ask where a reliable source of midi files is for work of the Masters (Elgar, Holst, Debussy I have been studying) Maybe Palestrina too.
    Wouldn't it be great if someone wrote a book with comments about the different styles/ orchestral numbers/ ideosynchracies of the Master Composers? Maybe with midi score CD? ......dreams...

What I need is accuracy/faithfulness to the original score - maybe a pocket score as well would be good. Dont mind paying, but would investigate free stuff first (naturally!).

Thanks all,

Zero
    Core i7 920, Win 7 RC 64, Cubase 5 64, Omnisphere, Trilogy, RMX, EWQLSO Plat EW Choirs, GPO, Stradivari, Gofrilla, Absynth 4, Halion 3, Kontakt3, BFD2, VSL Strings, JBridge running all 32 bit apps well.

Re: Question about accurate midi files of Masters

Hi!
    I guess you already tried www.classicalarchives.com ?
    There are a lot of classical midifiles. I'm not 100% sure though that each of them reflect the precise Master work as they intend to be played through General Midi. It is possible to freely download 5 MDF/day, more if you are a paying subscriber ($25/year).

Yes I know of this site, but have never used it - what are other peoples opinions - do otehr GPO users get there tempaltes here?

Zero
    Core i7 920, Win 7 RC 64, Cubase 5 64, Omnisphere, Trilogy, RMX, EWQLSO Plat EW Choirs, GPO, Stradivari, Gofrilla, Absynth 4, Halion 3, Kontakt3, BFD2, VSL Strings, JBridge running all 32 bit apps well.

I would not dream of using a downloaded midi file as a basis for making a realisation, unless a printed copy were not available.

I always use a printed score, miniature or otherwise, then I can see what the composer intended. You get to see the slurs, hairpins, tempo changes, instrumentation, everything. Can one be satisfied with anything less?

Terry

Thats what I was thinking - I have a few printed scores here already, I would hate to start emulating with GPO and find that my midi file descends into something which was not in my copy of the printed score - this might be a thorny issue - e.g how many copies of the real score are in existence? How faithful has the printer been? Has the maniscript been modified for the modern orchestra, etc...

Equally though I love to have the convienience of scrolling to bar 511 and finding the basic notation done for me.
    I guess I hate having to stick everything in using the note editor of Cubase its so clunky and fiddly.

Hi Dianielle,
    My your picture shows that you havent aged a bit

I have read your tutorial - which was helpful. I know you are an acknowledged master (mistress?) of this topic.

Wondering if the downloadable midi files on the classical music archives site are constructed (on the whole) to reflect the score, or to create a sound that approximates a performance of the score. As you know these are very different goals.

Zero

Go Back to forum