• Register
  • Help

Topic: Watt Wood Eye be missing wrt GS?

Share/Bookmark

Watt Wood Eye be missing wrt GS?

Hi,

I\'ve been lurking the GS forum for some time and have gleaned a great deal of info (thanks guys). I have just completed my new PC designed for GigaStudio and had been waiting for v3 to avoid the upgrade charges (stingy sod! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] ). I have read reviews in SOS and Computer Music (they love Kontakt) and now various folk seem to be considering migration. Now that Kontakt has introduced HD streaming and release triggers...What would I be missing if I should, hypothetically, purchase Kontakt instead of GigaStudio?

I would appreciate any input from anyone with experience of both.

Thanks.

Frank

Re: Watt Wood Eye be missing wrt GS?

It\'s OK.. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ..I found a link at Tascam which filled me in. The jewel in the GS crown is the low level programming.

Frank

I have to agree with Lee regarding possible problems with low level programming. This type of programming is a no-no according to my Microsoft documentation. As long as programs are written in user level there should be no problems with one program interfering with another and taking down the whole system requiring a reboot. Giga in XP is the only program that I have that requires a reboot once it crashes. I don\'t recommend running any other programs with Giga normally. Unfortunately, I have to run Sonar with Giga at the same time. Just have to be careful of how I launch my apps and how much I push the system.

I wonder if Giga 3.0 is still going to be in the kernel level. Maybe this is what is taking the development so long. Giga will always be a standalone program with the current programming model.

As our Kontakt developer has told me, Kontakt has a streaming implementation which is as \"near\" to the system as possible.
    Maybe the reason why Gigasampler does not work as a plugin and only in standalone mode is, because it is programmed very low-level ?
    Just an idea...

Kontakt in the version 1.2 has an improved Gigasampler import with release triggers and key-switching. We tested the import and had good results but we also heard of some people having problems with trying to import their Giga-libraries. We are trying to improve the GS-import asap. I can give you more info on the import later when we tested it with more libraries.

Hi Chaps,

Thanks for your interesting input and thoughts. I take, and thank you for your points on purchasing too Lee. Like you chaps I have my doubts about the consequences of the low level programming. There has been a number of programmes over the years, musical and otherwise which have done amazing things, at the time, through extremely skilled programming using low level system calls and assembler/ machine code. (my apologies if this is only partially correct!)

My limited understanding is that this type of programming is almost impossible to modify and as you suggest may be responsible, to some extent, for the delay with v3. In truth it is bleeding obvious that there has been some problems in achieving what they wanted to achieve in the time they wanted to achieve it.

I am filled with total admiration for the work which the original GS team produced. By using \'genius level\' programming they managed to do something which had never been achieved before...to stream straight from the hard disk, even with relatively slow machines. Then to add all the programming peripherals to produce a ground breaking programme all round. If that wasn\'t enough, they managed to market and even run an excellent web site which even the Tascam \'muscle\' hasn\'t managed to match after a year! It would have been impossible for them if they had needed to sleep!

Sadly, for GS it is true that the never ending increase in processing power has enabled ‘flabware’ to inherit the earth (with a certain Office suite being right up there!) and therefore higher level programmes can manage to keep up with the lean and mean programmes when there is a powerful cpu strapped to their backside!

Maybe, as a near newbie, I still might have to wait for v3 before I can make a reasoned decision about which way to jump! Like all of you who are already users I thought that the wait would be over at NAMM……the rest is history! The pain for me is that there is absolutely no indication of when the release date might be. The most musically active, for me, winter ‘season’ will be over soon and therefore I suppose for the amateur hobbyists, such as myself, the first season with v3 will be from next October! I’d already bought Pure Guitars and SAM horns with Prosonus Orchestral collection next.... in anticipation. Ah well!

Going back to your original post, you WON”T pay any more for GS by buying now, then upgrading. You may even pay less.

And the truth is, you will want BOTH.

I can give you more info on the import later when we tested it with more libraries.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Would it be possible for you test import of GigaPiano? I have been having a terrible time getting it to play properly in Kontakt 1.2 - the timbre is completely off, voice-stealing does not work properly and the CPU usage hits the roof, even with polyphony set at only 64 voices. Other people have posted (on the NI forum) that they have had problems using GigaPiano with Kontakt, but I have not seen any suggested remedies.

As a benchmark for comparison, on the same computer I can import and play GigaPiano with HALion without any problems.

Go Back to forum