• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Polyphony test results!!

Share/Bookmark

Polyphony test results!!

I have moaned about kontakts poor polyphony on my mac 667 for a while now.
    The mac gets only 24 voices before SPLAT!
    My PIII 800 gets over 40.

But my new P4 2.4ghz......drum roll.........

90 stereo voices!!!
    Easily without issues. And this is without streaming anything.
    Not bad at all.

Oh, and this is using a 128 sample buffer!!!!
    If feels almost as tight as giga!

I am building another PC just for Kontakt!!!

Please feel free to suggest any more detailed tests. I would be happy to pound on this system for you.

ed

Re: Polyphony test results!!

Very good ed, that\'s pretty much in line with what I\'ve been getting on my 2.6 GHz P4 system.

To be honest Ed, I would have hoped for more than 90 - if the samples aren\'t streaming - . As I understand it, the main reason Gstudio doesn\'t achieve more than 160 mono voices is that ALL those voices are streamed and there\'s a limit to the number of streams that can be squeezed out of a hard disk simultaneously. If there\'s no streaming going on, surely that hardware bottleneck is gone and we should be seeing a bigger increase - no?

Dig that! The real test is what can you get with massive streaming as in: VOTA, GOS, VSL all running together.

I can get 120 stereo voices on my crappy ol\' Mac with Unity Session running from RAM, but the disk streaming is where things get hairy!

I have unity on my 500g3 and it works great! although I haven\'t stepped up to session yet, I hear the streaming is very buggy, so why pay to upgrade to a feature that isn\'t worth a pooh. down side is I can\'t import giga.

I\'m stuck on getting kontakt for mac, seems like older macs work better then the newer ones (from what i\'m gathering) I think I\'m gonna get it anyways.

I see kontakt comes with both mac and pc in one. Does this mean: if it stinks on my mac I can put it on a pc without getting another licence? If not, does that also mean we can have it on more then one machine without additional licenses?

Aaron Dirk
    NGS West

I see kontakt comes with both mac and pc in one. Does this mean: if it stinks on my mac I can put it on a pc without getting another licence? If not, does that also mean we can have it on more then one machine without additional licenses?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Use your own imagination...although you already know the answer that you\'re going to get here!

Do all your Kontakt patches have filters and FX on?????

I\'m running a PIII 800 under win98se and can get 86 stereo voices in Kontakt running Logic 5.3 and a delta 1010 on low lantency [img]graemlins/tounge_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] anymore and it starts to crackle. I have no FX or filters on but i have ADSR envelopes on them.

I\'m really amazed to see such poor performance from a P4...as i plan to upgrade soon. Can people give a more accurate discription of what they are actually doing.

Cheers.

Bob.

nevermind....

Interesting results Ed. I can get 80 stereo voices with DFD disabled on my g4 800 and that is at 512k buffer. Not great, but a usable latency. I haven\'t lowered the buffer yet and done tests, but I still though this was really good.
    I am suprised that your PC only got to 90 voices however.
    Chris

PS Just tested at 128k = 65 stereo voices, and at 256k = 72 stereo voices. Not to bad for a slower mac.

Chris,
    Your G4 800 is doing way better than my 667 titanium is!!

I was not using any effects in my tests but I need a 128 buffer. Anything more feels too mushy and I just can\'t deal.

I am actually happy with 90+ voices with that low of a buffer.
    I will be tweeking my pc, maybe it can do better.

ed

Go Back to forum