• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Really big gongs and cathedral bells?

Share/Bookmark

Really big gongs and cathedral bells?

I am hoping to find samples of big gongs and cathedral bells ... but, I do not want a light sounding set, but really big heavy "gothic" sound with lots of bloom (I'm sure there is an official word for that but I can't remember it).

Does anyone know where I should go for this please?

Are there any good recommendations without having to buy full orchestral percussion libraries?

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Mark

Re: Really big gongs and cathedral bells?

check PMI web site and you will find what you need for bells and at a bargain price.

I ordered Anvils & Bells from PMI three weeks ago -- E mail confirmed -- but still no delivery, and no notice of late shipping. Delivery represented as eight days.

Reliability??

Maybe they're all at NAMM, like everyone else except me.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Problem with the PMI bells is I can't find some demo mp3s. I really have to hear the tone of the bells before I can buy. I'm not looking for weak bells that sound like tubular bells - I want BIG!

Anyone know the Karajan recording of Berlioz's Symphonie Fantastique? It is years since I heard that LP but from memory, that is about the bell sound I want.

Mark

Howdy Mark,

Not quite sure about specific sound you are after, but I found PMI church bells work quite well for my needs.

Cheers,

ck

Both EWQLSO and VSL have really nice gongs, and VSL has very nice plate bells.

However, you should be able to pitch any gong down a few steps and get the sound you're after.

I used to have a big bong, but that was when I was younger and smoking . . .

Wait, you said big GONG . . . sorry, nevermind.

Quote Originally Posted by synergy543
    I haven't heard these (looks like they're only mp3) but they might be worth checking out if you're looking for freebies:

http://bimbam.be/EN/klokken.html

"Fifty-four bells are suspended next to, above and under each other in the turret room of the 91- meter- high belfry. The heaviest of them all weighs 6200 kilos; the carillon as a whole weighs over 30 tonnes."
    Thanks for the link synergy543 but unfortunately, the sound quality is way too poor

I don't know if Michiel Post is reading but you need some demos of your bells on your website! With your recent NAMM special offer, if I had at least been able to hear the bells, you might have made a sale but with no audition available, I couldn't buy

Mark

I hear you! BELLS DEMO1
    Best regards,
    Michiel Post

Go Back to forum