• Register
  • Help

Topic: Solution for Mac user....

Share/Bookmark

Solution for Mac user....

I have a situation and I\'m curious if any other mac users have solved it..... in a word OSX. I\'ve been putzing along now for quite some time with my current G4, which is OLD. 3 years to be exact. It\'s only got a 400 processor! And it\'s only got 1 at that! It works great for some things, but now that technology is getting very cool, we have all sorts of new software synths etc... and my machine just can\'t keep up. So I\'d like to upgrade, but my software can\'t keep up with the new machines because it\'s not OSX yet! And I can\'t get a new machine because it won\'t boot into OS 9! Errrrr... And apple, of all people it seems should know this would be a problem since they went and bought our favorite software manufacturer Emagic, who only has 1 of their entire software lines updated to work with OS X.

I kept holding off buying a new machine because I thought the G5\'s, or whatever the next generation is, would come out. Well now they go and make all machines OSX only (or 9 in classic) which really makes my life rough.

So my question is 2 fold: 1) Does anybody have any information as to when the new macs are in fact coming out. I may not be able to use my software, but at least I\'ll have a cool machine!
    and 2) Does anybody know of a good fairly inexpensive way to update my current G4 so it can handle more plugs and do better processing and maybe get me along until all my beloved software HAS caught up with Apple?

Any insight would be great!

Re: Solution for Mac user....

Originally posted by J. Whaley:
    2) Does anybody know of a good fairly inexpensive way to update my current G4 so it can handle more plugs and do better processing and maybe get me along until all my beloved software HAS caught up with Apple?

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I picked up a Sonnet G4 1.2GHZ CPU upgrade from E-Bay for $600, my machine was originally a G4-400. (Mine\'s an AGP model, I don\'t think that the upgrade would work in the PCI model, but it\'s fine as long as you have an AGP slot.) The 800MHZ upgrade chip should be around $400, and be sure to stuff 512MB-1GB of RAM in it. I took my G4 from standard to killer in a few steps, and I can dualboot OSX and OS9. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Re: Solution for Mac user....

Originally posted by J. Whaley:
    I\'ve been putzing along now for quite some time with my current G4, which is OLD. 3 years to be exact. It\'s only got a 400 processor! And it\'s only got 1 at that! It works great for some things, but now that technology is getting very cool, we have all sorts of new software synths etc... and my machine just can\'t keep up. So I\'d like to upgrade, but my software can\'t keep up with the new machines because it\'s not OSX yet!
    2) Does anybody know of a good fairly inexpensive way to update my current G4 so it can handle more plugs and do better processing and maybe get me along until all my beloved software HAS caught up with Apple?

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">If you use Logic as your sequencer, you can upgrade to Version 6. According to emagic, It runs on OS9 as well as X. You especially get the benefit of the new \"freeze\" function which lightens processor load when using plug-ins and softsynths. Tailor made for slow processors. Just in case you are wondering, the simple explanation of \"freeze\" is that Logic renders an audio file and then disables a track\'s plug-ins or soft-synth with just one click. Playing back just an audio file, fully rendered with all your settings is considerably less processor intense. You can re-enable the track at any time to make adjustments, re-freeze, and it will render another audio file, and disable again. YOu can do this, of course, with Logic 5, but it takes a few steps. 1 button convenience keeps you on the right brain path while working.

Upgrading to Logic 6 will give your 400MHZ mac new life. You can also add more memory.

Being the cheap bast&*# that I am, I\'m waiting for the new G5\'s so I can buy a dual processor G4 on the cheap.

Also, with enough memory, you can upgrade to OSX even on your old G4 400 if you want to make the leap beforehand. OSX doesn\'t work on old G3\'s, but it does work on old G4\'s.

Go Back to forum